ethics independence

is there a defined dollar amount that constitutes a large gift that requires disclosure? doesnt seem to be mention in CFAI. for me there are levels of disclosure. I Gift of tickets from client = no disclosure required II Gift of hotel stay from client = disclosure required III Gift from non client = always requires disclosure IV Significant gift from non client = disclosure and permission? V Gift dependent on returns shown = disclosure and permission from supervisor. Can someone please verify this? or provide further info?

none of that looks right

there is no longer a dollar threashold, there used to be one though

ruins Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > none of that looks right laughed out loud at that. i mean it all depends on the circumstances, every siutation can be diff. generally the rules are more lenient for clients than for “non-clients”, and more lenient for past performance than for future performance/.

> I Gift of tickets from client = no disclosure > required Depends whether it will affect objectivity. Whether ticket is lavish. (Ticket for a bus trip might not require disclosure, but if its a not-for-sale bus ticket to the only bus ride within a 100 mile radius in the desert and the condition for this bus ride requires an assurance of a favorable report… then… hmmm actually… I’m not sure if you can accept it without violating CFA rules…but then, since it is the onllyyy means of transportation to survive… anyway… ha) > II Gift of hotel stay from client = disclosure > required Depends again on whether it’ll possibly affect objectivity. And if it is the only hotel within the area. And if it is, pay for the hotel expense yourself. > III Gift from non client = always requires > disclosure Depends. As gifts from non-client is always more of a no-no than from an existing client. > IV Significant gift from non client = disclosure > and permission? If it can affect your objectivity, can’t accept even with permission/disclosure > V Gift dependent on returns shown = disclosure and > permission from supervisor. Can’t accept b/c that may result in unfair treatment to other clients etc. etc. > > Can someone please verify this? or provide further > info?

joseph213 Wrote: > > V Gift dependent on returns shown = disclosure > and > > permission from supervisor. > Can’t accept b/c that may result in unfair > treatment to other clients etc. etc. Actually you can enter into a additional compensation agreement with a client given that you receive written permission. The permission is so that a manager can decide wether it would conflict with the normal compensation you receive AND so that they can make sure you’re not favoring this specific client. Standard IV B.

FinNinja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > joseph213 Wrote: > > > V Gift dependent on returns shown = > disclosure > > and > > > permission from supervisor. > > Can’t accept b/c that may result in unfair > > treatment to other clients etc. etc. > > > Actually you can enter into a additional > compensation agreement with a client given that > you receive written permission. The permission is > so that a manager can decide wether it would > conflict with the normal compensation you receive > AND so that they can make sure you’re not favoring > this specific client. Standard IV B. Hmm right, I didn’t take into account the additional compensation I was thinking of a problem set where a client offers a gift for job well done vs a non client offering a gift… but I dont remember for what reason.