Ethics-Loyalty- WTF?

One question I just did, and got wrong, claims that it’s ok to contact clients of your former employer as long as you use public records to track them down, and not a stolen client list. Does anyone else think that is stupid? You only know that these people are worth a call because of information that you gained at your former employer, regardless of where you get their phone number from… Anyone agree with me?

ok…based on your title - I don’t Loyalty is the correct standard to be looking at. 1. Loyalty comes into play for your CURRENT employer - so this wouldn’t be a loyalty issue - because you’re not really being disloyal to your current employer… 2. Yes it seems - you would have the intellectual knowledge of the worth of this people - but in CFA’s books that is something you can take with you - so I guess it would be ok to call former clients - as long as you’re not using means from your former employer - like client lists etc. 3. You can relate point 2. to for example valuation models that you might have created for employer A. When you move to employer B, you are allowed to re-create the same model - even though you might have gained the knowledge of how to create it from employer A. dunno if that’s the logic they’re using…but atleast it’s some justification…

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > > Does anyone else think that is stupid? yeah well stupid or not…we are slaves of the CFA institute…atleast for another 11 days…

good answer, man. Thanks!

Mandelbrot Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > good answer, *WO*man. Thanks! and you’re most welcome…

Fair game, unless you signed a non-compete. It only becomes a violation if you obtained the client’s name & address info from anything other than memory.

if you know the clients then it’s your knowledge… and you are allowed to use that knowledge as long as you don’t steal client lists it’s all good not necessarily think it’s stupid