Ethics:lunch ok?

Can an analyst accept a lunch offer from a company he’s covering? Need to disclose anything?

I would say it could be perceived as additional compensation and I would disclose.

How about a mars bar?

C’mon lunch? I buy lunch for people I don’t even know.

I think gruel is acceptable, but anything meat-based, or more than one course, is unethical. I can just think of the disclosure list at the bottom of the report - “The analyst may have received additional compensation in the form of carrot, broccoli, sprouts or other vegetables. In addition, he once received 20p for the bus when he was short of change.”

< $100 then no need to report

he accepted a can of brocoli, his independence and objectivity must have been compromised.

chrismaths Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think gruel is acceptable, but anything > meat-based, or more than one course, is > unethical. > > I can just think of the disclosure list at the > bottom of the report - “The analyst may have > received additional compensation in the form of > carrot, broccoli, sprouts or other vegetables. In > addition, he once received 20p for the bus when he > was short of change.” And, uh, when joey went up to buy a second drink the analyst stole one of his fries…

whats considered nominal value for an acceptable gift?

At our firm we disclose like everything because gifts are not usual or frequent. We disclosed the gift mugs we got even. As long as it is less than $100, I have heard reporting is not mandatory.

Prix fixe lunch at Le Cirque is < $40. I think nearly any lunch is fine. I think it’s very awkward in a restaurant to split the tab and someone should always pick up the whole bill. If it’s very expensive, I’m okay with flipping for it or drawing a credit card from a hat but someone always pays the whole thing.

So can we agree that one can buy the analyst lunch unlesss they say supersize it?