Ethics question about citing sources

Hello everyone,

Been getting conflicting answers from everywhere…is a member/candidate required to cite sources from a large, reputable organization? E.g. US Bureau of Labor, S&P 500, etc etc… I have read that because those sources are widely available and trusted, they don’t have to be cited. I’ve also read that since they COMPILE and PROCESS such info to put it into a way that is effective to understand, that it MUST be cited…which one is it? Lol

I’ve got conflicting answers about this too. According to Schweser you don’t need to cite if its DATA but you need to cite if its charts/tables. CFAI just vaguely says you don’t need to cite if its a reputable, widely available public source IIRC.

You reckon it’s best practice to go with the CFAI guidance?

Yeah always follow CFAI. I’m not sure where Schweser is getting their their differentiation between data and things like charts/tables.

Thanks barnacledhermit. Good luck on the 23rd!

Good luck to you too!

i thought i’d add to this in case anyone else was confused by this and thought some areas looked a little grey. I found a question which brought my understanding of this standard into question so i wanted to post my thoughts in case anyone else wanted to share their two cents worth.

the CFAI text states:

"Attribute quotations: Attribute to their sources any direct quotations, including projections, tables, statistics, model/product ideas, and new methodologies prepared by persons other than recognized financial and statistical reporting services or similar sources."

so i think we’re ok not to cite Bloomberg, S&P 500 etc providing it’s their information we’re citing. if the financial public source is citing research or work carried out by someone else other than them then we need to cite both sources, OR verify and cite the original source only.

there are a few posts out there that state we need to cite the financial publication if they post charts or tables

here’s what the CFAI text mentions, (previously to what was quoted above). violation practices of plagiarism include:

“(4) using charts and graphs without stating their sources”

so my understanding is tables by well known sources are ok to use without citation, but charts and graphs are not. i think that’s everything but please share if you have a different opinion. feel like i’ve spent too much time on a question that will potentially not even show up…

I believe one should always cite the source. If there is any mistake/error in the chart, table then user should know where that mistake came from and whom to contact for further clarifications. Also, I remember that one should give the ultimate source. If researcher found the chart from NewYork Times but it is originally from Bloomberg, then Bloomberg should be cited as the source