Ethics Question

If I create a model at an employer, of course I cannot take it with me however, if I create the model before employment on my own and bring it to the employer can I then take it with me if I leave? Would I always have ownership of my work unless it was created under an employer?

it will depend

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > it will depend nice :slight_smile:

you can use the original model…if you made any adjustments they cannot go with you. Only the model as is before you started work.

bigwilly Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > you can use the original model…if you made any > adjustments they cannot go with you. Only the > model as is before you started work. that might not be true, it will depend on the contract you made with employer. Usually when you bring your prop software on board, it might become property of employer. So as i said, it will depend

“it depends.!!!” However, I have read that in most material, CFA side with employer, to be safe, I would mark NO on the exam.

yeah, mark no to be safe. you can recreate the model from your memory, but you may not physically take the excel, etc. file with you.