Ethics: unrelated jobs

Should one report jobs that are unrelated to business to the employer? eg. part-time librarian during weekends.

not required, unless there is a conflict - so no

comp_sci_kid Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > not required, unless there is a conflict - so no but then I remember you have to report your night-time bartender job to your employer. sigh.

sticky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > comp_sci_kid Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > not required, unless there is a conflict - so > no > > but then I remember you have to report your > night-time bartender job to your employer. sigh. i dont think you… unless you work so hard you are about to violate duty to employers by sleeping at work

sticky and CSK, you two are everywhere. how can you balance time between posting and reading…

comp_sci_kid Wrote: > > but then I remember you have to report your > > night-time bartender job to your employer. > sigh. > > i dont think you… unless you work so hard you > are about to violate duty to employers by sleeping > at work You are correct. I remember the solution was saying the night-time work MAY affect his daytime work in the office. So it has to be reported.

BUT!!! … Q6, p.112, Schweser 1. Clarissa Steeber … also is involved in serveral other outside business activities such as purchasing and selling luxury automobiles and real estates. Steeber does not disclose these outside business activities to her employer or clients. But then Schweser says this is a violation, because “these activities could potentially affect a manager’s ability to be independent, objective, and loyal to her clients” I don’t really see why this can affect independence/objectivity/loyalty. Should this be disclosed? >.

sticky Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BUT!!! … > > Q6, p.112, Schweser 1. > > Clarissa Steeber … also is involved in serveral > other outside business activities such as > purchasing and selling luxury automobiles and real > estates. Steeber does not disclose these outside > business activities to her employer or clients. > > But then Schweser says this is a violation, > because “these activities could potentially affect > a manager’s ability to be independent, objective, > and loyal to her clients” > > I don’t really see why this can affect > independence/objectivity/loyalty. > > Should this be disclosed? >.< real estate is Alt Inv, so def should be disclosed. Running a lemonade stand on weekends shouldnt

you should disclose outside employment if: the unrelated job could somehow be related (i.e. you volunteer on the financial commitee of a not for profit that saves whales or something). but if you volunteer to help the save the whales NFP clean their boats you wouldn’t have to.) if the job you take interfeers enough with your time it coudl affect your ability to perform your primary job (i.e. a night job could fall into this although that example’s a grey area). if you deal with anything remotely related to your primary job - i.e. selling real estate as pointed out. if you deal with people who could potentially be clients or affiliated with your primary employment…

Should this be disclosed to clients and potential clients as well?

CSK - good question. i don’t think you need to disclose to potential as its not a referal or a conflict of interest. current clients i would lean towards no as well…for similar reasons. just thinking out loud - i don’t have a for sure answer for you.