Ever fired/disciplined anyone?

Got any managers in here? What led to the decision & how was it implemented? Did you have to ask your boss / HR first?

I’ve never had to do it, but it’s not a bad idea to talk to your boss about it and why you think it’s necessary. That way, if they try to go around you and lodge a complaint, you know the organization is backing you up. Don’t talk to HR unless you know you are going to fire someone, and just get their guidance on what to do, how to do it, and in what order.

Never had to do it, but i couldn’t possible do it without an MD, or possible higher signoff and HR involvement

I’ve never had to do it but there are a few co-workers that I would love to give the axe if I were in the position to do so. I would think it’s pretty common for there to be bad evaluations and some kind of failed action plan before you get to that point. Having a paper trail is key.

I inherited a bunch of people some time a while back. I basically have 2/3 people who are giving me a headache. The area this team covers is mostly ops - I wouldn’t have chosen to manage these people/this area, it was additional baggage to the role. The issue is is that the team is small and they provide coverage to each other. #1 is a senior ops person. Problem: works contracted hours only. 9-5. Sometimes stays after 5. Never comes in before 9. Usually last person in. Earns well above market wage. Work is generally good when she is here, but she does things to suit themself. Takes time off for appointments (mainly physio but also others) during the day. I’m actually ok with the taking time to do things, but it is the fact that she doesn’t put in the time. I don’t get a sense of commitment much above the basic level. Reluctant to push new initiatives forward. #2 is the next rung down. Problem: has a sense of entitlement but gives little in return. Example: had holiday entitlement increased at the beginning of the year (by me to put her in line with local firms). Has had 8 days off sick since then. Often needs time out for personal issues: today got a note saying her dad in law tried to kill himself yesterday, he’s ok but cant get any work done, needs to leave the office. Was the same on Friday. 3 weeks back, I granted her compassionate leave to take the day off for her granma’s funeral (not mandatory). She slammed her thumb in the desk drawer and had to take half a day off. The list goes on. How can it be that this individual needs 8 days more than me to be off sick? The main thing though is she has a sense of entitlement. Holiday, pay, hours etc. Always complaining about workload, but not really stacked with work. #3 is a guy I let go to another office as his mum has a terminal illness. Last week he came in drunk. Sent him home (posted a message about it last week). How would you address these things? My boss is in another office, so I rarely speak to him. I am annoyed that people only ever want to take and yet I am (think I am) quite a giving boss. I dont micro manage & am fine with the work life balance - to a degree. Should be a two way street.

Muddahudda Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Often needs time out for personal issues: today got a > note saying her dad in law tried to kill himself > yesterday… Oldest excuse in the book.

I haven’t popped my firing cherry, but would like to for a few coworkers. On another note my sister in law works in HR and last week sent an exit interview request to some lady who didn’t know she was getting fired.

Analyze_This Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I haven’t popped my firing cherry, but would like > to for a few coworkers. > > On another note my sister in law works in HR and > last week sent an exit interview request to some > lady who didn’t know she was getting fired. Looks like somebody’s got a case of the “Mondays”

Letting some one go is the worst side of being a manager.

what happened to my thread about blacklisting the weak and undisciplined? lol people can’t handle the truth

I think I’d get a perverse thrill out of it. Granted I love being yelled at…

bring a couple of frineds of yours in suits on a monday, lock yourselves in the main conference room without the blinds down early AM so that everyone coming in can see you having serious discussions. exit the conference around 10 am and leave them in, give them a pile of papers to review looking all busy, takeaway starbucks coffee and dooughnuts on the table. drop a line to several key people in the office (front desk assistant, office administrator) that it’s “nothing serious, just some efficiency consultants reviewing some files” in order to start a quick rumor mill. expect everyone in the office to be in the know by early afternoon, exponentially increasing their productivity and work commitment. make sure you and your buddies leave the office building at different times, meet at a local pub for several rounds of drinks. you are paying obviously.

If you don’t have a paper trail, you might be in court for firing 1 & 2 (in Ireland anyway). People are clever; if they think they can get away with something with you, they will probably milk it. You might think about making it really uncomfortable for people when they take the p!ss to discourage it. Like if you suspect that they aren’t sick, get them to see a company appointed doctor. Or if they take time off for personal issues/appointments make them make up the time in the morning or evening on the day of the appointment. The trick is to be reasonable. Be a boss your employees respect. That comes from not being an a$$ and knowing your stuff.

It gets easier with practice, it’s never fun.

i fired an intern this summer and last

Some good ideas there, thanks AF crowd. I like the idea of bringing in my own heavies for the day. Would at least be a good crack. Think I will go down the indirect hint route. I don’t need to be unreasonable. I’ll move to direct conversation after that. And the paper trail after that. At least it is working fine most of the time. I know we all have a tendency to focus on the things that don’t work (admit it, you only ever remember the 1 mistake someone makes not the 99 things they do right), so I have to be realistic myself. Right, cup of caw-feee time.

goldenboy09 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i fired an intern this summer and last Any good stories here? What led to their premature evacuation?

I fired a lot of people once, one guy called the office and said the secretary he was coming by with his shotgun, true story.

jcole21 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > goldenboy09 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > i fired an intern this summer and last > > > Any good stories here? What led to their > premature evacuation? damn you and your conscious choice of words. you got me.