Ever gone back to previous employer?

So I was curious how many people here have left a company and later returned in a different capacity? I am asking this, because I will be starting to hunt for my next job this fall, and my previous employer has a couple of divisions that I’m interested in looking at. The issue is that I left the company after 6 months on the job, but it was because I hated the position and my boss, but I had nothing against the company. So my question is, have you done something like this? Is it common? Do I have any real shot at getting back in the company? Or should I just forget about it and focus my efforts elsewhere? Thanks

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I was curious how many people here have left a > company and later returned in a different > capacity? > > I am asking this, because I will be starting to > hunt for my next job this fall, and my previous > employer has a couple of divisions that I’m > interested in looking at. > > The issue is that I left the company after 6 > months on the job, but it was because I hated the > position and my boss, but I had nothing against > the company. > > So my question is, have you done something like > this? Is it common? Do I have any real shot at > getting back in the company? Or should I just > forget about it and focus my efforts elsewhere? > > Thanks It’s common. Like getting back together with an ex. You just couldn’t find something else. Not a biggie

HAHAHA, sorry that’s awesome +1

depends how you spin it and on the situation… let’s say you left company X (role 1) to join company Y (role 2) where your position/responsibilities are very different now you want to go back to X (role3) which is nothing like role 1, but something similar to role 2 then you can spin it as follows: I wanted to pursue different career interests and so I joined company Y. I would like to continue in this career path and because I enjoyed working at X, I want to go back there. The skills/experience I gained while at Y is very relevant to this new role (3) at X. this implies that after you quit the first position, you actually went to work somewhere else… but did you?

Yes that is pretty much exactly the situation. I tried to transfer but couldn’t because I was too new, so I got a job getting the kind of experience I realized I wanted. Now I am a better fit and have the skills. Not sure if I’d be tainted now though for leaving after 6 months kblade Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > depends how you spin it and on the situation… > > let’s say you left company X (role 1) to join > company Y (role 2) where your > position/responsibilities are very different > > now you want to go back to X (role3) which is > nothing like role 1, but something similar to role > 2 > > then you can spin it as follows: > I wanted to pursue different career interests and > so I joined company Y. I would like to continue in > this career path and because I enjoyed working at > X, I want to go back there. The skills/experience > I gained while at Y is very relevant to this new > role (3) at X. > > this implies that after you quit the first > position, you actually went to work somewhere > else… but did you?

Just apply and see what happens. What if you never get a call? Then this conversation is moot. What if they call you in for an interview? Then they don’t care, and are considering you.

Yeah that’s true, I was just curious what others experience was. Obviously I will try if there’s something I’m interested in when the time comes. topher Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Just apply and see what happens. What if you never > get a call? Then this conversation is moot. What > if they call you in for an interview? Then they > don’t care, and are considering you.

I interviewed but did not get job to come back

I don’t think there is anything wrong with going back and I’ve seen people do this successfully even in similar or the same roles. Last year I tried getting back into the first company I worked for out of college, but that ended up not working out (they cancelled the position). Now, I wouldn’t go back to any of them. If I wanted to be there, I would have stayed. And besides, I’m in a good spot now and working for any of them isn’t going to get me closer to where I ultimately want to be.

Thanks for sharing that’s good to know. Ultimately I realize there more fish in the sea, we’ll see what happens. XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I don’t think there is anything wrong with going > back and I’ve seen people do this successfully > even in similar or the same roles. Last year I > tried getting back into the first company I worked > for out of college, but that ended up not working > out (they cancelled the position). Now, I > wouldn’t go back to any of them. If I wanted to > be there, I would have stayed. And besides, I’m > in a good spot now and working for any of them > isn’t going to get me closer to where I ultimately > want to be.

i went back to one. except i was in a corporate raider role.

i dont think theres a problem with that, as long as you didnt leave on bad terms. its happened in my department, someone came back after going somewhere else.

I did it. I had committed a significant ethical violation at the time and was given the option to either sign a bunch of legal documents and work under tight supervision or leave, and I decided to leave ( I was very arrogant at the time), 3 years later, I contacted them because my wife wanted to move back to this area and they hired me back.

mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did it. I had committed a significant ethical > violation at the time and was given the option to > either sign a bunch of legal documents and work > under tight supervision or leave, and I decided to > leave ( I was very arrogant at the time), 3 years > later, I contacted them because my wife wanted to > move back to this area and they hired me back. Aren’t you supposed to be the voice of hard work and ethics?

Well, I guess if you could do it in those circumstances there’s no reason I can’t! mo34 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I did it. I had committed a significant ethical > violation at the time and was given the option to > either sign a bunch of legal documents and work > under tight supervision or leave, and I decided to > leave ( I was very arrogant at the time), 3 years > later, I contacted them because my wife wanted to > move back to this area and they hired me back.

artvandalay Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I was curious how many people here have left a > company and later returned in a different > capacity? > > I am asking this, because I will be starting to > hunt for my next job this fall, and my previous > employer has a couple of divisions that I’m > interested in looking at. > > The issue is that I left the company after 6 > months on the job, but it was because I hated the > position and my boss, but I had nothing against > the company. > > So my question is, have you done something like > this? Is it common? Do I have any real shot at > getting back in the company? Or should I just > forget about it and focus my efforts elsewhere? > > Thanks We have a lady who came back after leaving our employer for one year. It will always be easier to employ some one who is already familiar with an organization as opposed to a new hire. It costs alot of money to train a fresh face and as much as possible the org. will try to save the costs.

One of the things that I don’t understand in this industry is that it is strongly recommended to jump to the shop down the street to make more $$$ and get promoted. Employers continue to better remunerate and promote outside people than their own.

it depends on whether your manager was an asshole and blacklisted you. i remember at citi one of the associates was moving to china and on his second to last day, he called in sick to avoid training the other associate, so the VP made it a point to blacklist him. if he ever applies to citi, he wont be considered.

Jumping ship and then climbing back on board seems to be common. In the cases I’ve seen, it generally results in a better job the second time around.