Exam taking tips

Came across this piece on their website. http://elanguides.com/wp/2009/05/optimize-your-performance-on-the-exam/ Agree with most of the stuff on there. Except that I don’t think they ask you for least likely incorrect or most likely incorrect options on actual questions (Point 6).

Thanks for sharing - excellent guidelines. Point #7 states the following: >> I always recommend that candidates purchase and solve the mock and sample examples that the CFA Institute makes available<< CFAI website states additional mock exams are not available for purchase while sample exams are. Is above a typo and the blogger just meant the sample exams, or are the additional mock exams available for purchase? Thanks.

Who cares? Just go to the CFA website and do all the exams.

What the Walrus said!

What beatthecfa said about what the Walrus said!

all good tips but I thought about some biological ones as well - empty your bowels before you go - don’t drink too much water, don’t eat too much at lunch, but do have a good breakfast - get plenty of sleep (will probably be hard because everyone will be anxious) - since it’s december definitely wear enough, don’t know what conditions are like in the exam center and you could always take jackets off if you are too hot - i’m thinking of bringing ear plugs incase there are as*hats who suck in air through their mouth or have a huge loogie in their nose they sniff in every 10 seconds loudly instead of blowing it out

Thanks for sharing.

Are you allowed earplugs? One of my students said she tried reading the chapter on corporate governance from the curriculum the night before the exam. Worked like a charm … apparently she fell asleep in a jiffy!!

From CFAI website The following items may be kept on your desk, if needed: Erasers, calculator batteries (and screwdriver for battery replacement), pencil sharpeners (no knives), eyeglasses, earplugs, and wristwatches (analog and digital) are acceptable; however, audible alarms and/or timers must be turned off

Her’s a tip for when you are stumped on a question. It has worked well on many tests in and out of the securities industry. Be very careful of questions with absolutes in them ( Always, never, must, will definitely, etc) You are probably aware of most absolutes that are on the exam( like must notify employer in writing regarding additional compensation) so if you see an absolute on a question that you are stuck on and you are trying to narrow down choices consider eliminating the ALL, NEVER, ALWAYS type answer. PS…Don’t let this influence choices you are making because of knowing the question. Just use it if you are stuck And Eat a light breakfast and light lunch, no coffee. better to growl a little. Whe n you eat a lot your brain slows down and blood goes to the guts for digestion.

yeah, point 6 is incorrect. most/least likely incorrect has never been seen on the actual exam

The majority of questions will only take you a minute or so to think about and solve. If you are stuck, make a note of the question and move to the next one (make sure you keep marking the scantron answer sheet correctly though). This will leave you with a good block of time to work on the questions you weren’t sure of towards the end of each paper. More time = Less Pressure = Better Answers. This was the approach I took and I had a good 30 minutes to do nothing with but check at the end of each paper. Best of luck all, see you in the L2 forum.

BUMP!

Not sure why but my ticket says "special accomadation " what, I can’t take the exam now ? Also, is it too late to change the test center location?

Do you have a disability?

njlevel10610 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Not sure why but my ticket says "special > accomadation " what, I can’t take the exam now ? > Also, is it too late to change the test center > location? It means that your testing location has special instructions. i.e. parking

One final advice for level I: When there is about ten-fifteen minutes left and you realise you don’t have enough time left to complete all the questions with all the accuracy you would want, start from the back and work your way through the questions backwards (the last 10-15 questions). Then you should concentrate on *only* answering the really easy ones. When you’ve done that, and there are a few (two-three) minutes left, fill in the remaining bubbles completely at random - that way you will not leave any blanks on your test sheet. By working backwards you minimize the risk of accidentally mapping to the wrong bubble (systematic error). When you hear the proctor call out that the time is up, throw down your pencils immediately so you don’t get reported for not complying. If you have bubbles that still are blank when you hear the proctor call out, tough luck, but don’t try to fill them in while the proctor is collecting the test sheets. That is a sure-fire way of being reported. It’s usually not worth trying to gain one or two extra random points by risking the entire exam and perhaps waste all the effort you’ve put in during the two three-hour sessions by having your test sheet confiscated in the very last minute…