Exam Weight Breakdown

Hi all, I have a general ideal about the breakdown of the exam, but does anybody know if it is online anywhere? I’ve been trying to look for it, but cannot seem to find it anywhere.

its in the secret sauce towards the end

Linky: http://cfainstitute.org/cfaprog/courseofstudy/topicareaweights.html Good luck on Saturday

This was posted by someone on AF in May indicating the number of item sets historically. Not sure where they obtained this info. I added 2008 Mock below. 2005 Exam Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…4 Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…6 Fixed Income…2 PM…2 QM…1 2006 Exam Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…4 Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…6 Fixed Income…2 PM…1 QM…2 2007 Exam Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…4 Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…6 Fixed Income…2 PM…2 QM…1 2008 Mock Exam Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…5 Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…5 Fixed Income…2 PM…2 QM…1

^ good find. Would love to see only 1 Quant vignette and 1 Econ vignette on the test…

agreed…one quant, one econ

I was the one who pulled those up. Looked up past “results are out!” threads to come up with those numbers. I really hope there’s only one quant…

If the past is any indication of future results, it looks like the breakdown will be: Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…4/5 Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…5/6 Fixed Income…2 PM…1/2 QM…1/2

cool… thanks all for the quick follow-up.

Here’s my educated guess. Not that it matters. We need to know something about everything! Derivatives…2 Economics…1 Equity…5 (1 more than historical due to new AI material) Ethics…2 FSA (incl. CF)…5 (they need to take from somewhere to add AI) Fixed Income…2 PM…2 (they won’t be able to resist testing all the L3 moves into L2) QM…1 (expect a combined Time Series / Mult. Regr. set)

I am guessing there will be 2 quant item sets this year. With single var regression moving from L1 to L2 and time series moving from L3 to L2, they have a lot more material to choose from and I’m sure they want to cover the quant material adequately within the program. If they don’t test time series this year that means two years in a row, candidates will not be tested on time series (those who passed L2 in 2007 skipped it since it moved down to L2 in 2008 and then us (2008) if it’s not tested.

I’d love to be the lucky candidate who got to take L2 without the Time Series and PM stuff and then got to take L3 just as it was moved down…

It’s so easy to integrate Time Series with Multiple Regression into one item set. That’s why I think we will only see one. They moved a ton of PM from L3 to L2. Could go either way! Neither topic is particularly attractive! :wink:

What was moved L3 PM to L2 PM this year? I’m a first timer.

I am a first timer as well. Schweser’s introduction on Book 3 page 190 (Portfolio Concepts) states, “the coverage of this material is much broader in scope and much more detailed than in was in 2007.” “Expect it to be tested extensively on the 2008 exam.”

btw, the exam last year with “1 quant and 1 econ” was not easy :wink: be careful what you wish for!

ps. no way PM is 3 vignettes. my guess is that TB won’t even be on there. also, really wouldn’t be surprised to see hedge funds for Alt Investments…considering how “in the news” they are and how everybody on earth thinks its a real estate vignette coming. i think if you overlook hedge, huge mistake.

KRochelli Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > ps. no way PM is 3 vignettes. my guess is that TB > won’t even be on there. > > also, really wouldn’t be surprised to see hedge > funds for Alt Investments…considering how “in > the news” they are and how everybody on earth > thinks its a real estate vignette coming. i think > if you overlook hedge, huge mistake. I don’t think anybody has said they expect 3 PM vignettes. That would be wierd and scary. Good point on the hedge funds. I’ll take another scan through. Thanks!

Got this from the Schweser 3 day…based on removing some FSA material Ethics 2 Quant 2 Econ 1 FSA 4 Equity 5 (incl a RE) FI 2 Derivatives 2 PM 2