Exams postponed globally

@Rules_Of_Acquisition. Well, with the proviso that the CFAI were to prevent candidates switching from their original exam location in a particular state, it might be possible to administer the exam on a state-by-state basis in the US. They would have to change the existing policy that allows candidates to change exam location, but that is a relatively minor rule change. The issue here is that the entire US is now a giant petri dish that has become the global epicentre for the virus. So, I don’t think there are any safe states left in the US, only relatively more and relatively less dangerous states.

I take your point that Americans make up a minority of candidates. My point was just that what is an essentially American institution is likely to take a US-centric approach.

There is no legal obligation on the CFAI to offer the exam. Although you could argue there is a moral obligation to offer it. At the very least, I think the ethical thing for the CFAI to do would be to offer the option of a refund or deferral to June 2021 (notwithstanding that the June exams may well be cancelled also).

In the end I think it will come down to money. The CFAI makes a ludicrous amount of money from their very expensive exams. But they may well face a class action lawsuit if the exams go ahead and people get sick. So, I think the calculus will be whether E[exam income] > E[reputational damage] + E[legal damages through sickness and death].

The Stanford Marshmallow experiment is an interesting analogue. And, yes, it is unfair that because people can’t follow common sense rules, the virus became out of control and others suffer (although remember that some people have been killed by their fellow humans, not just inconvenienced by having exams delayed).

I don’t think the exams will happen in December 2020, although I don’t have any skin in this game. I can see a strong public health argument not to take the risk. Against which is the avarice of the CFAI. I don’t think on a personal level that the candidates figure in the CFAI’s deliberations at all.

My guess is that in whatever smoke filled room in which the CFAI will make the go/no-go determination, they will ask Sheri Littlefield, CFAI Chief Legal Officer, for her advice. I think the call will be made by counsel. And the consideration will be financial exposure and reputational risk. So, my guess is she will advise against, or certainly not give an unequivocal endorsement toward proceeding.

This is all just conjecture on my part. I have no inside knowledge or anything like that. And I get where you’re coming from. You’ve worked hard, prepared for the exam, and want to take it.

If Covid is not going away for many years, and possibly decades, as may well be the case, CFAI needs to figure out a better exam model than putting 1,000 people at a time into zoo-like conditions in hot exhibition centres. @not_a_CFA asks the question if CFA I can be administered through CBT, why not CFA II and CFA III. I think that is ultimately where the CFAI will be forced to go. Those obnoxious Stasi proctors, recruited from the DDR after unification, will no longer be needed (something we can all rejoice in). I never enjoyed their grubby fingers soiling my passport. And given where we are now, I certainly don’t want their Covid-infested hands coming close to anything I own.

We will see what happens. But I’ll bet all the money in my pocket for all the money in yours that the December exams will not happen. And if they’re not going to happen, the ethical thing for the CFAI to do would be to cancel them now, and not leave people in this stressful land of limbo, without the option of refund of deferral, for many months to come.

Is this old news? I wasn’t aware of this. Just emailed CFAI concerning the June 2021 exam for which I was registered and they said that Level 2 and 3 are moving to CBT in 2021. They will be offered in May and August. Those who registered for the June 2021 paper based test can either move to the last paper based test offered in December 2020 or register for one of the CBT offered in May or August. If the May or August offerings get postponed again, we will have the option to postpone to the next offering or get a full refund. I did not get any emails for this, was anyone aware?

Indeed this seems to be the case according to this article: https://www.300hours.com/articles/cfa-exam-computer-based-testing-for-all-levels-from-2021#.XymDi9XwZFQ

As a registered candidate, I received nothing official from CFAI though.

I want to write in Dec 2020 and now it seems they are giving the option of postponing but they are sticking with the exam going ahead in December. I am in NY and now a lot of big events around December are being cancelled (Radio City Christmas Spectacular) so I just can’t see it going ahead.I am massively conflicted now. I wish the decision would be made for me amid all this uncertainty.

I guess my email coincided with the announcement date. I would expect an email to be sent out to all candidates. This is major news.

@ Lateral, the last paragraph of today’s press release confirms it is CFAI’s intention to hold December examinations regionally.

“​CFA Institute intends to hold the December 2020 exams for all levels in every location globally where it is possible with the relevant health measures in place and in line with local government and health regulations. CFA Institute is following local health policies across the globe, tracking developments closely, and will adapt examination plans as needed.”

This is all very good news, in my opinion.

1 Like

I will defer mine to May. I feel like it will be delayed again since the CFA leans towards caution. Having computer based would solve the problem. Besides the initial move to December wasn’t good for me anyway.

Yes I am not sure if I will defer - need to think it through. I am sure they are leaning towards caution here and have every intention of holding the exam but actually being permitted to hold the exam is a different thing altogether.

Thanks so much for this. Your link posting is thoroughly appreciated. Especially as CFAI has only today bothered to send out an email.

In aggregate this is good news. It seems deferment is now allowed. And there is a refund option if December 2020 exams are cancelled (as I still suspect they may still be, despite protestations to the contrary).

4.5 hours seems like a more reasonable length of time for the exam. And Prometric is highly professional and efficient. Its staff are pleasant. Its exam centres are clean, disinfected, and safe. Exam security will be enhanced and false accusations of cheating will now be a thing of the past. No more sitting caged like an animal in a second-rate zoo. And the unpleasant thugs the CFAI has the audacity to describe as “proctors” will have to find another paid gig to serve as an outlet for their bullying and nastiness. Their grubby Covid-infested hands will soil candidates’ passports and belongings no more.

Lest it be said that the institute is now a friend of the candidate, do also note that the department within CFAI that works so hard to make exam-takers’ professional and personal lives stressful and miserable did come up with this:

“Candidates will not be able to register for adjacent exam windows. This means you can’t register for the next immediate available exam, but you can for the following one.”

No reason for this. No other professional organization does this. This was put in solely to screw up people’s lives. CFAI just couldn’t resist adding a bit of spiteful garnish to remind candidates that they remain worthless fodder and serve no purpose other than to act as ATMs to further pad the hundreds of millions of dollars that represent the cash mountain on the “non-profit” balance sheet.

Three steps forward, two steps back.

Yes, saw that. I still don’t trust CFAI and think they may flip-flop on this. But I know you are eager to take this and hope you get the opportunity to do so in December.

The intention is clear. So, we will see. The chances do seem high enough to open your textbooks. But I still wouldn’t bet the farm at this point on the exams definitely going ahead.

I live in the Middle East and the virus is pretty much under control in my country. There are still cases of course, but we are back to working from offices, and malls/entities have all opened up with health safety measures. I believe it is possible that the exam will happen where i live in December, since CFAI intends to hold it regionally in locations where the situation allows it. So I am going to study my a** off for this, and my advice to all candidates is to study hard as if the exam will happen for sure. If it gets cancelled, you are not losing much, you will eventually take it and this study will pay off sooner or later. If it DOES happen then you are going to WIN and you will kick yourself if you did not study, just because you kept assuming and predicting the future, when the future is REALLY unpredictable.
NOBODY knows what will happen in the coming months, so keep studying.

1 Like

Well said, @LadyMacbethStrategy !

1 Like