Excel and Filtering

Say you have data in excel filtered and you want to change all the filter cells to the same number. Should you copy and then select all the filtered cells and paste? Or while the data is filtered drag the information down? I am never comfortable changing filtered data as I fear the change will be reflected in the cells that you unfiltered.

“Should you copy and then select all the filtered cells and paste? Or while the data is filtered drag the information down?” Either or, doesn’t matter. Won’t affect the cells that are hidden.

I always do a copy and paste. I think dragging down would apply it the unfiltered cells as well.

OK I found the culprit. You can paste into the cells but if you paste special into the cells it will paste into all the unfiltered cells. Argh! Who the hell would want to paste into unfiltered cells when you have the filter on?

“I think dragging down would apply it the unfiltered cells as well.” No, it doesn’t.

skillionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “I think dragging down would apply it the > unfiltered cells as well.” > > No, it doesn’t. I just don’t trust dragging it down. Often time it works but sometimes I swear it fills in the unfiltered cells. I might be doing something differently sometimes I drag but I’m very weary of doing this.

Whatever floats your boat, although I assure you that it doesn’t. Anyone with Excel (all of us, I’d imagine) is free to try to disprove me. However, that will be an exercise in futility.