Excel dreams

Anyone else have them? Anytime I spend a long day working on a model in excel I wind up trying to continue my work when I try to go to sleep at night, needless to say it seriously impedes my rest. Sometimes I’m in a half sleep trying to fix an impossible excel problem and can’t go to sleep until its done. Anyone have any tips or should I check in to the closest mental hospital?

Learn VBA and there will be no Excel problems that are difficult.

Ah yes VBA, well even if VBA could solve my impossible excel problem I would still prefer not to have to write code in order to get to sleep.

whats your excel problem? maybe i can help

Sims Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ah yes VBA, well even if VBA could solve my > impossible excel problem I would still prefer not > to have to write code in order to get to sleep. But if you’re at the point where you have impossible problems it’s because your needs have outgrown the functionality of the spreadsheet without VBA. It’s like going to a foreign country and not learning the language. You can communicate lots of ideas with pointing, grunts, and grabbing various body parts but if you stay there long enough you will want to learn the language. Then you can communicate all kinds of complex ideas easily.

I spent about 12 hours per day programming computers in an obscure object oriented scripting language that allowed for some really cool functionality, one of which was birthing & working with this cool parent/child structure. It was as if you could create a little life form with computer code that takes on external & random properties and grows, matures, interacts then dies… I did this for so long, with such intensity, that I regularly dreamed about it. Then my eyes started hurting so I stopped doing it altogether and now the dreams stopped, too. If you want something to dream/worry about… just buy some natural gas futures.

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spent about 12 hours per day programming > computers in an obscure object oriented scripting > language that allowed for some really cool > functionality, one of which was birthing & working > with this cool parent/child structure. It was as > if you could create a little life form with > computer code that takes on external & random > properties and grows, matures, interacts then > dies… I did this for so long, with such > intensity, that I regularly dreamed about it. > Then my eyes started hurting so I stopped doing it > altogether and now the dreams stopped, too. If > you want something to dream/worry about… just > buy some natural gas futures. LOL that’s hilarious… can someone recommend a good book for beginners in excel financial modelling?

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I spent about 12 hours per day programming > computers in an obscure object oriented scripting > language that allowed for some really cool > functionality, one of which was birthing & working > with this cool parent/child structure. It was as > if you could create a little life form with > computer code that takes on external & random > properties and grows, matures, interacts then > dies… I did this for so long, with such > intensity, that I regularly dreamed about it. > Then my eyes started hurting so I stopped doing it > altogether and now the dreams stopped, too. If > you want something to dream/worry about… just > buy some natural gas futures. Nothing like some 40% weekly vol to get your blood going. This is seriously disturbed and I advise you to seek counseling immediately.

Yes, it is annoying. When I was a blackjack dealer I would have cards turning in my sleep, when I was a student, maths forumlae and when using Excel, excel forumlae. Not doing said activity right before you sleep helps, but then that might not be possible with some jobs.

i think its much worse to be dreaming about CFA exam questions… don’t miss those days AT ALL.