Excel help needed

Hi, I’m looking for something that’s a modified version of a V-lookup. What I want this function to do is to find a string value in an array then return the entire row in which that string is located. The row length is of a finite length but I don’t know the number of hand. So, for instance, the hypothetical function finds “John Smith” in row 100 and then returns the entire row. Any thoughts on how to do this? Thanks.

Steely Dan - Not exactly certain of the problem. From what I understand, you have data in the following manner: Column 1 (name) Column 2 (address) Column 3 (etc), where the name is in column 1. You can use the INDEX / MATCH function. = index(Column1:Column(N),match(“John Smith”,Column1,0),column())

ValueAddict Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Steely Dan - > > Not exactly certain of the problem. From what I > understand, you have data in the following > manner: > > Column 1 (name) Column 2 (address) Column 3 > (etc), where the name is in column 1. > > You can use the INDEX / MATCH function. > > = index(Column1:Column(N),match(“John > Smith”,Column1,0),column()) Thanks ValueAddict. That’s exactly what I was up against. I wound up copying a draging a vlookup function across several cells which worked well.