Excel Q: change inputs without flipping sheets?

I have a 40-sheet model, with one “Assumptions” sheet that holds a lot of input values. I spend a lot of time doing this: + change an input value + look at the impacts on a different sheet + go back to Assumptions sheet, change another value, flip back to the output sheet I’m interested in …and so on. I’d love some kind of pop-up window that is persistent (floats off to the side) where I can change input values regardless of which output sheet I’m looking at. Does such a thing exist?

I have no idea how to do it, but there is something called a Private Sub Worksheet which is basically a text box in a stationary window inside your worksheet that you can use. I am sure if you google it you can get some instructions on how to do it. I always use your method because anytime I try to do something high-level in excel I waste 5 hours, screw everything up, and end up nearly commiting homicide on someone in my office.

It’s called the Watch Window. Search for it in Excel help.

Alternately, you can refer to the most important stuff from several sheets in your assumptions page or on one summary page. Anyway, 40 sheets for an excel model is a bit much. There’s gotta be an easier way to do it.

> It’s called the Watch Window. funny, when I hit “Watch Window”, nothing happens. Anyway: the description makes it sound like this only displays values – doesn’t let you change the value in the watch’d cell. Is that correct? (I tend to change a handful of Inputs, and then need to peruse several sheets worth of Outputs – so I need to sit on the output sheet(s) and remotely change the values on the Input sheet.)

Watch window only watches individual cell(s) so if you want to watch several cells, it would be quite cumbersome since you have to specify each of the cells you want to watch. A much more elegant method is to do is the following in Excel 2007 View -> New window. View --> View side by side. Now you have the same spreadsheet opened in two windows, which you can resize freely. In each of the windows, you can view different sheets. Changes made in one window will be reflected automatically in the other window.

thanks elcfa, I think that’s the ticket.

use the camera tool. "The Excel Camera tool enables you to take a live picture of a range of cells that updates dynamically while the data in that range updates. Although Microsoft doesn’t include the Excel Camera tool in the mainstream Ribbon, it’s quite useful when you want to build Excel dashboards and reports. Before you can use the Camera tool, you need to add it to your Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). " The following applies to Excel 2007. If it is not already visible, go to the Quick Access toolbar at the top left of the screen (to the right of the big Office button). Click the down arrow to reveal “Customize Quick Access toolbar”/More Commands/Choose Commands from: (change Popular Commands to All Commands) The list is sorted alphabetically, scroll down to Camera. To use it, 1) select the range of cells you’ll want to see updates to. 2) select the camera tool to “take a picture” of the selected cells. 3) go to your main Assumptions sheet where you want to view the updated assumptions and click to paste a live image of the selected cells, which will update in real time. 4) change assumptions 5) view update in main sheet HTH

Nice DoubleDip Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > use the camera tool. > "The Excel Camera tool enables you to take a live > picture of a range of cells that updates > dynamically while the data in that range updates. > Although Microsoft doesn’t include the Excel > Camera tool in the mainstream Ribbon, it’s quite > useful when you want to build Excel dashboards and > reports. Before you can use the Camera tool, you > need to add it to your Quick Access Toolbar (QAT). > " > > The following applies to Excel 2007. If it is not > already visible, go to the Quick Access toolbar at > the top left of the screen (to the right of the > big Office button). Click the down arrow to > reveal “Customize Quick Access toolbar”/More > Commands/Choose Commands from: (change Popular > Commands to All Commands) > The list is sorted alphabetically, scroll down to > Camera. > > To use it, > > 1) select the range of cells you’ll want to see > updates to. > 2) select the camera tool to “take a picture” of > the selected cells. > 3) go to your main Assumptions sheet where you > want to view the updated assumptions and click to > paste a live image of the selected cells, which > will update in real time. > 4) change assumptions > 5) view update in main sheet > > HTH

Ditto. Very cool. Thank you. murders&executions Wrote: > Nice > > DoubleDip Wrote: > > use the camera tool.