Exercising and Studying

I think what you’re describing is a FANTASTIC long-term program, I’m not gonna lie. I just wish I made more money. I’m hemoraging cash and not sure I’m at the point in my life where I could justify an additional $450 per month. However, I’m definitely going to look into those books. Man, I can’t wait to be a full-fledged “adult” (30 the new 20?) where I can, ya know, afford to do some basic things for my health. If I weren’t such a fatty, I’d jab you for watching Opera. LOL. Stewie Griffin…

kkent Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Yeah, that’s definitely a better long-term > alternative (this plan is $319 per month). I think > my complete and utter inability to cook is > starting to haunt me, too. My roommates are > incredible cooks (Indian food, yuck) and have only > put on a little weight even though they NEVER EVER > exercise and drink like effin’ fish. > > Does this food plan that you speak of have > prepared food or do you need to cook? What is > included in the $450? $319 sounds like a lot at first, but if they provide your meals 7X a week and you won’t be spending money at the grocery store, then it’s not as bad as it seems.

When I recommended the books to someone else, they said, “Oh, the ones that Opera recommends!” I found them on my own since I don’t think I could take advice from that woman. If you can stick to the plan given, you could use it month after month until it needs to be restructured. Lastly, does the gym you go to have a spin class? That seems to be the golden ticket for increasing metabolism. Also alot of nice scenary too :wink:

SanFran, yeah, the marginal cost is like a $1 a day (for a single guy like me). So that’s not too bad. KJH, ok, I get it. It’s a one-shot deal. And when your weight is down, then your diet plan changes, too. Hmm, that makes sense. That’s certainly something I want to look into. But, what the heck is spin class? (Sure you don’t watch Operah…:wink: )

Spin=Cycling on a spin bike. High energy music playing in most cases with someone leading yelling, “More resistance, faster, etc” Spin class is usually 60 minutes and the group aspect really keeps you pushing harder.

Daggum! I can see how that would cause someone to lose a ton of weight fairly fast and keep up some decent muscle mass. Dag-freakin’-gum. 60 minutes of that? God, that makes me tired even thinking about it (this is why I’m a fat tub of lard, lol). Again, that’s something I want to look into, too. Great suggestions, man, seriously. Thanks.

I can lose 1.5-2 pounds a week (up to 7,000 kcal) with no exercise and almost no effort. Stop all exercise to curb my appetite. How I do this? Keep protein consumption the same, and cut out all fatty foods and junk food. Eat a lot of sugarless yogurt and very watery oatmeal to give myself the impression of being full. I lost seven pounds in four weeks doing this. I’ll do this for two more weeks and I’m back to my usual routine.

Like I mentioned earlier, there is no way I could do that alone. Within a class with loud music and a trainer barking at you; then its doable. Sometimes we all need a push. And don’t quote me on the $450. That was how much it was here, I’m sure it is not a universal fee everywhere.

Just do it. You really don’t need these fancy systems and gimmicks. It’s all mental. I used to run competitively and the transition from high school to college in terms of mileage, intensity, etc. was overwhelming at first. You need to block out the pain. Set a schedule and stick to it. No excuses. Cardio is obviously key. But as far as diet is concerned, Just don’t eat shit and REALLY workout. Not talking about reading the latest issue of SI Swinsuit Issue while on the elliptical. You should put it all out there are feel like you have no more left to give. There are no shortcuts. What a lot of these systems offer you is a shortcut.

Cardio + Weights The more cardio you do, the more efficient your body uses energy, the slower it burns fat, and the slower the metabolism. That’s why you also need to add weight training to build muscle to burn off those pounds as your cardio training progresses

Mmmmm… watery oatmeal and sugarless yogurt. Yummy.

experiment: compare studying after intense aerobic exercise to no exercise. Most people should see the difference. The saturation of blood with higher levels of O2 after excercise improves concentration and helps with the ability to retain. For me the difference noticeable

virginCFAhooker Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Mmmmm… watery oatmeal and sugarless yogurt. > Yummy. IMHO, this method works the best for me. Reducing caloric intake (but keeping the same protein/vitamin levels) dramatically and continuously is much less effort than exercising (and enduring the hunger pangs afterwards).

You’re body can only handle so much stress and change is one form of stress upon your body. To switch from what you’re doing now to a program that controls what you do and what you eat 24/7 is going to be stressful, and as a result, hard to maintain. You know what you need to do (eat better, excercise more) so just set some new modest goals that you can stick to that will make you a healthier person. If you want to follow a plan, the Men’s Health Belly-Off Program seems good; I would do it if I had weight to lose. Working out a couple times a week, coupled with reasonable nutrition and proper attitude and sleep is all you need to start seeing positive improvement.