Experienced Mechanical Engineer wants to change into Lucrative profession.

Hello All,

i am a Mechanical Design Engineer and I have sufficient satisfaction now. Been in engineering for 8 years now, Design, development, production, project engineering.

i am now a project manager and we are a supplier of automotive parts. I am doing well and job is interesting. However, I feel there is no money in mechanical products since the profit in this industry is not competitive to IT or business consulting.

can somebody please tell me how to change my career line?

Can I go in to IT project management?

can I go to business consulting? Engineering consulting?

Will there be an opening for me in Big 4’s?

What are my options?

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Riddle: what’s the difference between a mechanical engineer and a civil engineer?

I don’t know anything about engineering, so I’m responding only to what you wrote.

1. I would bet that it would be easy for you to move into engineering consulting, esp. with your design background.

2. Business consulting, on the other hand, strikes me as unlikely. You would probably want to think about going back to school. Given the humongous opportunity cost you’d be facing, it seems to me that getting an MBA would be worth it ONLY if you can get into a top-tier school (e.g., Harvard, Stanford, Wharton, Dartmouth, Yale, U. of Chicago, Cal/Berkeley). That is a non-trivial undertaking. The competition is ferocious.