F&*#@ing CFAI exams!

Was feeling so confident, just took an exam and got a 56! :frowning: :frowning: Wanna cry.

Was it sample 2? I heard that was a killer.

Not sure, but it was the first non-free one… fixed income KILLED me - got 1/6! UGH. And there was a funky FCFE formula … I’m just telling myself I’ll do better w/ a paper exam (it is kind of hard/annoying to take it online, keep having to scroll up and down to find things, can’t make notes, etc.) and that there is still time to review… still, so depressing…

just checked, yes, it was version 2.

Yeah. That is number two. You still have almost three weeks. Learn from it and move on. I will be posting the same thing in a few days. :slight_smile:

Ah… hopefully you will fare better than I did… now back to freaking fixed income! :slight_smile: It’s just a test, it’s just a test…

i just took sample exam # 2 and threw up a 50%. yep, a 50%. went 3/6 on every section. SWEET. time to print the answers out and attack my weak spots. for anyone who hasn’t taken any CFAI tests yet, would suggest you start- it definitely gives you a different look than just schweser or (insert service provider) alone. the stuff is decently straightforward, it’s just hard. CFSF1- there was a f’d up ethics q… that was there 2x on this one. even if i give myself the 1st point though, it’s only a 53% for me. not exactly impressive. i am getting smoked by the CFAI. this helps motivate me though- i am nowhere close to ready.

This is terrifying.

it was ethics (always a bit tricky and there is 1 messed section so ok, maybe i can say 4/6), says FSA but it was a FCFF/FCFE vignette- was tricky. anyone who’s taken this, the first one that wanted you FCFF for some reason i couldn’t find the WCinv (or maybe it was the FCinv)- the answer said (80-105) for this part… if anyone remembers where that came from, pls enlighten me- i got it all right but that but spent some time trying to find that last piece to no avail. FI was credit risk type stuff- i’m so so at FI, i really should take 1 night this week and hammer qbank hard. derivs were futures/fwds- not my strong suit, was pretty straightforward, i just suck at them. you will do fine here. and then PM you would’ve thought it’d be an easy one- IPS type stuff, but sneaky tricky. so i wouldn’t say this score terrifies me- i should w/ practice be able to lift the derivs, FCFF/FCFE stuff, and FI. ethics and PM were kind of a crapshoot here. the CFAI isn’t messing around if the real test is this hard or harder. not messing around at all.

shuchs!!! I am on call with CFAI customer care and asking them to postpone my application for next June. If people like you are getting 50%, then we should be striving for double digit percentages :frowning:

Who would pass if it is that hard…besides maratikus and kabhii? We can’t have a pass rate of 0.0000000000000000000001%!

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > shuchs!!! I am on call with CFAI customer care and > asking them to postpone my application for next > June. If people like you are getting 50%, then we > should be striving for double digit percentages > :frowning: We will ride the bull till it bucks us my friend. And if we are still here next year then we will kill it in 2009.

mwvt9 — maratikus and kabhii all L3 candidates!! please compare apples to apples.

And can I just say… the actual 2006 vignettes and questions in the CFAI texts were MUCH EASIER than sample exam 2. Booooooo!!! They just keep making it more and more brutal each year. Incredible.

nah, you’re fine. let’s compare- your qbank around a 90%, mine around a 74%. i love spending $40 though for the CFAI to tell me that my 200 hrs of studying or whatever it is so far have gotten me… halfway there.

dinesh.sundrani Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > mwvt9 — maratikus and kabhii all L3 > candidates!! please compare apples to apples. That was in response to banni’s post…not yours.

haha… I was kidding… I meant maratikus and kabhii know so much than me that they should already be giving L2 and L3 simultaneously this June.

bannisja Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > nah, you’re fine. let’s compare- your qbank > around a 90%, mine around a 74%. > i love spending $40 though for the CFAI to tell me > that my 200 hrs of studying or whatever it is so > far have gotten me… halfway there. That’s because - I am fine with standalone questions and when I see a vignette, I have already lost 3 points in fear. So even if they are asking the expected return using the CAPM model, and the E® is given on para1, beta is give on para23 of page2 and RFR is given in table-18c, then probablity of collecting all the data from all the places anf getting the ‘Re’ answer would be asking for too much from my side.

Dinesh… Regarding the vignettes, try to remember that the questions typically go in order of info within the vignette… Q1. is typically the within the first couple paragraphs Q2. next couple paragraphs and so on… Really its not too bad if you skim over the reading at first and then go through each question paragraph by paragraph… Goodluck…Im sure you will be fine!

This thread is really depressing. If you guys are putting up 50’s what are ‘avg’ candidates getting?