F-test p-value, simple question...

It should be a simple question. I only have my level II material with me so I can’t look this up and its driving me batty. Reading 11, EOC question 10… p-value = 0.00904 df Numerator = 1 df Denominator = 3 F-Statistic = 36.667 Question: Is the F-test significant at the 5 percent significance level? Answer: Yes. The significance of 0.00904 given in the table is the p-value of the test. This is less than the specified significance level of 0.05, so we reject the null hypothesis. WILL THE P-VALUE ALWAYS BE GIVEN TO US? I HAVE NO IDEA WHERE TO GET THE P-VALUE ON THE EXAM!?! HELP!?!

p-values are usually output in the ANOVA table. If they require you to use it, they will provide it.

Even if P value is given, look at the F stat of 37. That is really high, considering you have 2 independent variables.

Usually, if the F stat value is too large, as in your example, p-value is usually small enough to reject the null.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > p-values are usually output in the ANOVA table. If > they require you to use it, they will provide it. why do you say they will provide it? aren’t we responsible for knowing how to calculate it? or at least determine what it is by looking at table?

p-value is the smallest level of significance (1-alpha) at which we can reject the null. so if p < the level of sig, F-test (or whatever test) indicates significance.

That is a output from the ANOVA. There is no way p-value can be calculated by you… We cannot calculate it, at least not with what we have learnt in the curriculum. you can make an indication of what the max p-value may be - which is the 1-Level of significance… nothing more than that.

cpk123 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > That is a output from the ANOVA. There is no way > p-value can be calculated by you… > > We cannot calculate it, at least not with what we > have learnt in the curriculum. > you can make an indication of what the max p-value > may be - which is the 1-Level of significance… > nothing more than that. right. you can get a range by looking at the table. they may not give it to you. you might have to look it up in table.