Facebook

I was arguing with my buddy about the potential of Facebook at lunch the other day, thought it was a pretty interesting argument that some of the masterminds on this forum might have something to add to. basically, we both agree that facebook as it is right now have a very attractive platform, garnering a lot of attention and hype and deservedly so…anyone who’s ever used any online social networking site can probably agree they have the most user friendly interface, a lot of interesting features to keep people’s interest level up, and have a good networking mechanism to connect people with their old friends/classmates. with that said, we disagreed on how far facebook can go from here, and the main points of our disagreement are, 1. is online social networking a fad or has it become a lifestyle —online social networking has been around for more than a decade (just from my memory, perhaps even longer…), but it didn’t really catch on here in north america until recently with the emergence of myspace and facebook (though one can argue it was always ok popular in asia, though different sites). has it advanced enough to become a part of an everyday lifestyle now? (like how tv became a part of people’s lifestyle) 2. is the target audience confined to a specific age group (15-35 perhaps?) —since facebook is network based, does it limit itself in terms the type of people it appeals to? for those who do not have an active email to join a network even if they were at one point a member of that network, it makes it harder for them to connect with their friends from that network…also, does facebook appeal to people who are in their middle age or retirement age, and have been out of school for a long time? 3. does it have what it takes to become a dominant online advertising platform, which is a multi billion dollar business (just look at how much google were willing to pay for facebook) —does either 1 or 2 above limit facebook’s prominence in the online advertising arena? I imagine part of being a dominant player in the online advertising world is that you have to be able to reach out to people of all ages, background Also, with the connectU lawsuit and beacon advertising engine concerns, will these cause a dent in facebook’s growth potential? I have a hard time seeing facebook following google’s success and footprints (google was truly boundless, anyone, regardless of age, background can use google, you can even search in other languages, translate them to english, etc…but they didn’t get there overnight), perhaps I’m missing something… also, would you subscribe to facebook’s ipo when they go public? (if its available to you)

FB is very yesterday. No

3_letters threw a sheep at CFA_Halifax…

No, Friendster is yesterday. Facebook is Today.

but is Facebook tomorrow?

3_letters Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > 3_letters threw a sheep at CFA_Halifax… ???

this is a ‘superpoke’ on fb hali…they have several of these gay things…

obviously, hali is already onto the next thing, so gay things like this on facebook wouldn’t ring a bell with him…speaking of the next thing, its not connectU is it?

I don’t pay any mind to facebook to be quite honest. It’s a waste of time. I don’t really have a reason to have an account open, and will probably close it soon. I guess it can come in handy sometimes, though I’d have more peace of mind knowing that people can’t see what craziness I’m up to. :slight_smile:

“I don’t pay any mind to facebook to be quite honest. It’s a waste of time. I don’t really have a reason to have an account open, to be honest and will probably close it soon. I guess it can come in handy sometimes, though I’d have more peace of mind knowing that people can’t see what craziness I’m up to. :)” You say “to be honest” a lot. Makes me think you’re hiding something…you’re logged into FB right now, aren’t you?

I’ll bet SomewhatDamaged is logged onto facebook as often as he is on AnalystForum – ALWAYS

Got ya 3. Sorry, I guess I’m out of FB touch. I just notice that my feed now has a couple says worth of crap that people I know are doing, whereas before there would be like 6-8 hrs worth as people were more active. I still glance at it every now and then, but I wouldn’t buy it, no

detective turk, leave the guy alone, he’s just a really honest down to earth kinda guy, is it a criminal offense to be checking facebook at work?

numi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’ll bet SomewhatDamaged is logged onto facebook > as often as he is on AnalystForum – ALWAYS SHADDAP!

sounds like labia and damagedgoods are in cahoots… in other news --> WillyR = FrankArabia

Turkish Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > “I don’t pay any mind to facebook to be quite > honest. It’s a waste of time. I don’t really have > a reason to have an account open, to be honest and > will probably close it soon. I guess it can come > in handy sometimes, though I’d have more peace of > mind knowing that people can’t see what craziness > I’m up to. :)” > > You say “to be honest” a lot. Makes me think > you’re hiding something…you’re logged into FB > right now, aren’t you? Yeah i noticed that right after I posted, came back to edit, but unfortunately one of you bastards caught it.

3_letters Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sounds like labia and damagedgoods are in > cahoots… > > in other news --> WillyR = FrankArabia “labia”? I like, I like.

3_letters Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > sounds like labia and damagedgoods are in > cahoots… > > in other news --> WillyR = FrankArabia —that labia you’re referring is not me LIAABA is it?..you like to play who’s who a lot I must say…just like how people used to spread rumours about other people conspiring in online fantasy sport games

its kinda depressing though, I spent 5 mins writing up the essay, no one even attempts to address any of the points…

Scabulous is fantastic on facebook. you can have say, 10 games of scrabble going on at once and there are no time limits, so whenever people get a chance at work or at night they can make a move