Failed Band 10..1st try...dont know what else to do

Need your suggestion guys.

only followed CFAI material…and missed by a whisker…i guess…

even scored above 70 in ethics (so called tie breaker)

Pls tell me what to do different & will retab help?

Essay

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% 1 Alternative Investments 19 * - - 2 Portfolio Management - Institutional 22 - * - 3 Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 15 * - - 4 Portfolio Management - Individual 15 - * - 5 Portfolio Management - Indiv/Behavioral 15 - - * 6 Portfolio Management - Individual 22 * - - 7 Economics 14 * - - 8 Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 20 * - - 9 Fixed Income Investments 21 - * - 10 Portfolio Management - Risk Management 17 - * -

Item Set

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Economics 18 - - * - Equity Investments 18 * - - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Asset Allocation 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Individual 18 - - * - Portfolio Management - Monitor&Rebalance 18 - * - - Portfolio Management - Performance Eval. 18 * - - - Portfolio Management - Risk Management 18 - * -

We have divided the group of candidates who did not pass into 10 approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with the overall scores of candidates who did not pass this exam. For example, a score band of 1 indicates performance in the bottom 10%, a score band of 10 indicates performance in the top 10%. Your score band: 10

Retab seems never work out, unless you have extra money to spend anyway.

From your morning matrix, you got damaged by some heavy weight questions. Perhaps you can work on those next time? Good luck.

You probably scored around 62-63% (52-53% in AM and 72-73% in PM).

Focus on moving AM from <50 to >50 and you would be across the line.

Performance evaluation & Alternatives could be the area that may help you over the line.

Don’t worry. Don’t overthink about this time.

Calm down, register for 2018 and rest till Jan. Plan well for next year and go for it.

I failed band 10 last year and retabbed, for me it was worth it just for the slim hope that something might change, it didn’t but I don’t regret it and I think if I hadn’t my studies might have been plagued by “what if” thoughts. Passed this year, with a good matrix (certainly better than I expected).

Alts was such a curveball but you really only got one >70 in the AM and you still banned 10’d it which is impressive. Just focus on improving your AM and you are set. For reference I got 3 <50 categories in the AM (Alts, Risk Mgmt, Asset Allocation) but also got 5 >70 (Inst, Perf Eval, Ind/Behav,Econ,FI) to pick up my AM.

You are obviously incredibly close, i am sorry to see you not make the cut and can only imagine what it must feel like. At least take pride in knowing you did pretty darn well & only need to improve slightly.

I would not go for retab. I did that myself when I had a band 10 fail on L3, but retabbing didn’t change a thing. I know exactly how you feel cuz the following year I was so discouraged I got a band 5 fail. You must not get into that downward spiral. My advice is to tell yourself YOU CAN DO IT! I would spend the majority of your time PURELY on redoing the AM papers. Read the marking scheme to figure out a pattern/ template for yourself and then try to tackle some other questions from Schweser or CFAI mocks come May next year.

Do not give up. My CFA journey took something like 10 years to complete (although technically it’s 8, cuz I skipped one year and didn’t take it seriously the first time). Believe in yourself. Good luck! :+1:

Looks like you need work on your AM. Do every practice exam you can get your hands on. There will always be new questions but a lot of it will seem familiar and you’ll know how to approach. As for what material to study from, I personally didn’t touch the CFA texts. Like literally didn’t use them at all. Read the scheiwser notes, watched the schewiser chapter videos and just did a bunch of practice questions (qbank and CFA online) and mock exams. Not saying it will work for everyone, but I’m proof you don’t need the CFA texts to pass. I passed all three on first attempt reading solely scheiwser material.