Failed BAND 10: retabulation

You must be right…

"Starting with the 1996 exams, the performance on the ethics section became a factor in the pass/fail decision for candidates whose total scores bordered the minimum passing score. The ethics adjustment can have a positive or negative impact on these candidates’ final results." This means that if you’re a borderline fail, you can be lifted into the passing zone by a strong performance in Ethics. Similarly, if you were a borderline pass, you could be failed if your Ethics performance was particularly weak. However, overall the CFA Institute has stated that you’re more likely to be be ‘passed’ through ethics adjustment than ‘failed’.

One of my friends passed with this marks .Astonishing

Congratulations! We are very pleased to inform you that you passed the June 2013 Level II CFA exam. 43% of candidates passed the June 2013 Level II CFA exam. You are one step closer to achieving your goal of earning the globally respected CFA charter. Registration for the June 2014 Level III CFA exam will be available tomorrow, 24 July after 9:00 a.m. EDT on the CFA Institute website. (Please note that you must have a valid international travel passport to register. Learn more about the identification policy.)

A summary of your exam results is provided below. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each topic area.

Please contact us if you have questions or comments about the CFA Program.

Item Set

Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 36 - - * - Corporate Finance 36 - - * - Derivatives 36 - * - - Economics 18 * - - - Equity Investments 72 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Reporting & Analysis 72 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 18 * - - - Portfolio Management 18 - * - - Quantitative Methods 18 - * -

what;s wrong with the score? He deserves a pass.

he did pretty well on FRA and Equity which are the biggest bitches there. Not mentioning ethics.

Others are average. Of course he should pass, why is it astonishing?

But I did “bomb” ethics … I got less than 50.

I don’t think I’m going for a retabulation but I just want to see what you guys would comment since I don’t understand why they put me in band 7:

>70: Derivatives, FRA, FI, QM

51-70: CF, Equity, Ethics, PM

<50: AI, Econ

Right now I am debating whether to retake it next year. I am not sure if I will be able to spend much more time/efforts to study as it may look like . Band 7 is pretty far away from pass. Per my score and how I felt after the exam, I expected if I failed, it would be borderline??

It doesn’t look that bad. Pull up the equities, ethics and CF and you’re home free.

Last year, a friend of mine was told that he failed L2 (it was his second try and he was uncertain if he’d continue). Well, for those who don’t think CFAI makes scoring mistakes, they notified him two months later that he had in fact passed.

Also, last year, a number of L3 takers challenged their scores when the morning exam was released on the CFAI website. Their challenge was based on a mistake in the answer key.

So if your results make absolutely no sense to you, it is worth asking about. That is, if you don’t mind parting with the $$.

@Hank Moody: so he made a successful retabulation case ever then? I have read ppl here claimed that there hasn’t been such case? (Both L2, L3)

He didn’t request the retabulation. It came completely out of the blue. There were a few others here who were affected.

That must’ve been the worst feeling for those 2 months but elation afterwards.

I’ve requested retabs in the past and really waste of money but it was just for peace of mind.

There’s only one retab success story I read about on the internet…a finance manager in HK who gunned his MBA at a big name US business school scored band 3. Didn’t make sense so he requested a retab and they found out that they mixed his score with the next person. Not sure how true this is but this is the only case when a retab would be worth it.

I’ve sent the form for retabulate my exam last tuesday, do you have any idea how long does it take to get the results?

Thanks

Generally retabulations will take anywhere between 1-3 weeks for processing.

I wonder if he missed the MPS by one question and they noted a mistake later? I think it’s worth a retabulation for band 10 people who know they errased some questions on their answer sheet. Otherwise, not worth the money.

Is it possible to clear the exam with less than <50% on more than two topic?

I am yet another frustrated band 10er with following scores…

>70% - FRA, Equity and Eco

50-70% - CF, Deri, Ethics, PM

<50% - AI, FI, QM…

The scoring system is really difficult to understand. I scored well on important topics (FRA and Equity, which covers 40% of the total score) and scored badly on two topics which only had 6 questions from a case, a couple of answers here and there, you are gone…

Can someone throw some insights on how it really works???

i really wished CFA tells us composite scores and %

Nobody follows ethics in i banks anyways so why the fuss

I mean AI was pretty large this year…and you could have scored 20% or something here…and your FRA and Equity might have been 70.5% or something…so it wouldnt have outweighed a very low <50% section.

That’s hopeful… but it better not be one of those “a friend of my friend who heard a guy who…” stories.

:slight_smile:

AI was 10%, i.e. 12 questions and the other two 5% each so in total 20%… and the scores reflect <=50% so a 3/6 or 6/12 would also represent in the same bracket.

I understand your point and that might be the case, I haven’t cleared the exam this time around. What I am trying to understand is - is it possible for someone to clear with low scores in more than two topics (without ethics - where I guess a different yardstick is being used)? Have someone seen those kind of stories? Or is it impossible to clear the exam without 9 section over 50%?

I just passed Level 2 with 4 under 50% including ethics.

Congrats!

Thanks for sharing the info… I guess you might be very close to or equal to 50% in almost of them…