Failed once but putting passing first try on linkedin - violation?

You’re wrong. It is a violation.

If a charterholder lists the charter inappropriately, I am positive the CFAI would reach out to them to have them change it. That can be considered a type of discipline. I’m sure if the charterholder did not comply, additional sanctions would be levied. Revoking someone’s charter isn’t the only type of discipline.

As for if someone took the test in NYC but claimed Boston, that is irrelevant to the original question. By your logic, A (3/3) is not a violation because B (Boston vs. NYC) isn’t a violation, but you haven’t shown why A=B, or even if B isn’t a violation anyways.

Palantir is just trolling all of us now. We’ve established he’s wrong already, no point beating it any further.

Stop giving him attention.

so is it a violation to claim you took it in Boston when you really took it in NY?

Probably, but who cares?

Do you really think that that’s comparable to the situation presented?

Yes I do, it’s nearly identical.

Well . . . that explains it.

I compare it more to being 20 and having a Fake ID with your birthdate saying you are over 21. Vs having an ID with your correct age and wrong home town. The location you took the exam is not material, lying about passing an exam you didn’t is.

#freebrady

Lying or intentional misrepresentation when it comes to the CFA program is a violation without question.

I hope it is a violation but in reality, it is probably not because the CFA institute would not confirm with you whether this Candidate has passed all 3 levels from first attempt. And the CFA institute will not spend time and resources documenting what menbers post on their linkedin account, since there is no case, there is no “violation”?

Like many things in life, it’s a fallen tree in a forest type of situation.

Whether one gets caught committing a crime doesn’t determine if a crime was committed.

Sorry, you are wrong. I know someone who lied on their CFA candidate status and posted that lie somewhere publicly. CFAI investigated and suspended that candidate.

Again, the CFAI will not confirm with you that person’s status, but they will take action if the person is lying about the facts.

That person was lying about her status, which is a completely different violation.

btw, Nana, CFA investigated because Itera reported this person, just to give you an idea of the kind of person you’re discussing with here.

I know what you mean, but until the act is investigated, we can’t really call it a crime, everyone is innocent until proven guilty isn’t it?

If that person is deliberately lying i would say he/she is dishonest, but since we can’t prove that he did fail an exam or not, we can only say that he either lied about passing or lied about failing, which doesn’t in itself conclude to commiting a crime to me.

If someone is claiming to be a charterholder and he/she is not indeed a charterholder, i think that is definitely a crime, but i am just trying to imagine, if i want to be humble and for whatever reason i post on linked in i wrote “after numerous attempts and many years i have finally attained my CFA charter” but indeed i passed all levels on single try, is that a crime? Technically I lied, but i didn’t lie about my STATUS as a member/ candidate… will CFA revoke my membership?

http://www.cfainstitute.org/ethics/conduct/sanctions/Pages/current_industry_related_sanctions.aspx

CFAI wall of shame, most are about security fraud and insider trading et al, maybe they have something for misrepresenting your success rates

Btw, I’m pretty sure if in doubt, CFAI will investigate

No, it isn’t.

In US criminal courts, everyone is _ presumed _ innocent until proven guilty. Whether they’re _ actually _ innocent or guilty depends on what they did, not what can be proven in court.

In other jurisdictions, people may be presumed guilty until proven innocent. This is, by the way, the general rule in US tax court.

It’s not a crime: there’s no law against as far as I know.

But if the claim is made by a covered person, it’s certainly an ethics violation.

it is like 40 or 50 brownie points for getting a job - so not bad

What makes you think that Itera reported this person?