Failing with "Band __"

Pretty straightforward question here… I see people refer often to “I failed with a band 10”, or whatever number it was. What does the band refer to?

My score for example Level 1: Fail The table below illustrates your subject matter strengths and weaknesses. The three columns on the right are marked with asterisks to indicate your performance on each question or topic area. Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 * - - - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 48 - * - - Fixed Income Investments 28 - * - - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 * - - We have divided the full group of failed candidates into ten approximately equal score bands. Your score band below shows how your overall score on the exam compares with all other failed candidates. For example, if your reported score band is 1, you scored in approximately the bottom 10% of failed candidates. If your reported score band is 2, your score was within the next band width ranging from approximately the bottom 11% to 20% of failed candidates. If your score band is reported as 10, you scored in the top 10% of all failed candidates. Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 10

I think I would have rather taken a punch to the gut than see this fail score on 7/29. You have no idea the disappointment experienced when your best is not good enough. Likewise, seeing that I may have been 1 question short acts like salt to open wounds.

I am sorry to hear that you were in that band. But I’m sure you are ready to kill the coming December one!! So based on your result… Would you say that Alternative Investments, Corp Fin, and Quant questions were rather challenging (more so than what you’d expected), or you were just not very well prepared for those sections? and how did you feel initially after writing the exam?

I scored band 10 too. Wasn’t ready for the questions they asked, it was kinda weird cause I was scoring in the 80s on schweser. Do the CFA questions is my best advice becasue they will prepare you most!

Quant was pretty difficult. Corporate finance was too. Alt Investments I just didn’t review as heavily since it is a smaller chunk of the exam.

beingthatguy Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I scored band 10 too. Wasn’t ready for the > questions they asked, it was kinda weird cause I > was scoring in the 80s on schweser. > > Do the CFA questions is my best advice becasue > they will prepare you most! when you say CFA questions, do you mean those in the books, at the end of each reading, or the sample exam questions you have to pay for online?

both.

Ditchdigger, I understand what you mean… I was also extremely disappointed… Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 * - - - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 - * - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - * - - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - * - - Financial Statement Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - * Performance band of your overall score among all candidates who failed the exam: 9

Do they tell you how well you did if you pass too? Thanks very much for sharing this–I know that Ethics are a big part of this but I didn’t know there are 36 questions!

i know, that just shows how seriously they take ethics part. it’s only like 70 pgs on schweser, whereas econ has like 200 pages of its own

rayllionaire Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Do they tell you how well you did if you pass too? > Thanks very much for sharing this–I know that > Ethics are a big part of this but I didn’t know > there are 36 questions! They do not other than how you perform in each section. The ‘best’ score report you could get is <70* in all areas.