FAO female candidates on the CFA Program

To the female candidates on the CFA Program - have any of you prepared for the CFA exams whilst on maternity leave? I’m going to be off work and on maternity leave for the 4-6 months leading the the June exam. How easy/hard is it to prepare?

I’m not on maternity and I’m not a female. All I can tell you, from my unparalleled reasoning skills, is that if your baby is less work then your 9-5 job than you should have an easier time with it. The more time the better, if you use it wisely. Everyone has varying levels of intellect and experience, no one can give you a straight answer on how easy/hard it is to prepare.

If you’re not a female you shouldn’t even have commented the post…

discussed before. Use search function

Wow, I’m going to start a post asking about men who are studying while their wives are pregnant. Then, when women comment, I will say “you should not have commented if you are not male”. Sure, men don’t have the same experiences as women while giving birth, but reverse-sexism is seriously for the lose.

reverse-sexism? come on mister…grow up “…To the female candidates on the CFA Program…” - mister, if you’re not within the target why should you bother answering…? to say… “…The more time the better, if you use it wisely…” now it’s my time to say…WOW what an added value answer!

I would try to respond to your post, but it becomes ineligible after the first sentence.

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I would try to respond to your post, but it > becomes ineligible after the first sentence. get em Hello Mister Walrus, i got your back.

I think it would be extremely difficult. You will not be sleeping at night and will be exhausted during the day. Unless you have a full time babysitter, this is a tough challenge. Not impossible, but it will take a lot of effort on your part. Good luck!

I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I would try to respond to your post, but it > > becomes ineligible after the first sentence. > > > get em Hello Mister Walrus, i got your back. teaming up :))))) that’s strategic forum topic at its best now you 2 are a real team of professional forum advisors and I can’t handle the pressure…!!! your dream has came true and you’re happy!!! i’m glad you made it…and much more relieved…because now we have guardians of AF forum! ??? bro…insanity is coming after you…I warned about the pills… Come on…you know that I do care about you… wish you a quick convalescence. best, t

tigas Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I_Passed_Level_1 Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I would try to respond to your post, but it > > > becomes ineligible after the first sentence. > > > > > > get em Hello Mister Walrus, i got your back. > > > teaming up :))))) that’s strategic forum topic at > its best > > now you 2 are a real team of professional forum > advisors and I can’t handle the pressure…!!! > > your dream has came true and you’re happy!!! i’m > glad you made it…and much more > relieved…because now we have guardians of AF > forum! > > > ??? bro…insanity is coming after you…I warned > about the pills… > > Come on…you know that I do care about you… > > wish you a quick convalescence. > > best, > > t I dont take bills braah, I only smoke that reggie bush

Corinthia: I thought I would post some thoughts about trying to study while being on mat leave. My son is a little older but maybe I can offer some stuff/considerations to think about while you are preparing. And I’m going to frame it in the it-might-be-possible-it-could-happen! mindset. Yeah, probably some of this stuff is more suited for a mothers-to-be forum, but whatever…guys, sorry, you’ll have to give us a break just this once. FWIW, I never tried to study while on mat leave but I’ve been there with a newborn so here’s a mom’s perspective… First - you know this - trying to study for any exam, much less the Level II CFA exam with a newborn is going to be a monumental challenge, but if a lot of things happen in just the right way, it MIGHT be possible to do both. Also, some of the stuff I’m going to put out here may seem ridiculous, but my mom is a retired pediatric nurse (one of those battle-axe/warhorse types/seen some of the childhood illnesses that most doctors nowadays have only read about) and she gave me some of this advice prior to the birth of my son and afterwards.) Again, these are only suggestions - you will know what is right and necessary for you, your baby, and your circumstances. 1. Pay attention to the baby’s movements, prior to birth, this will give you an idea of when the baby will be awake. Once they are born, typically the waking/sleeping/moving around timing is the same. 2. Try to establish nursing. Feeding the baby this way will make it SO MUCH EASIER when it comes to feeding and studying at the same time. If you can’t, don’t fret. 3. IF you nurse, set up a crib or cradle in your room, next to your bed, to get the baby for nighttime feedings. This will make the whole sleeping situation so much easier. Don’t worry about spoiling them at this age - it isn’t possible. You’ll sleep better, your husband will sleep better. (N.B. My son slept in a little crib next to our bed until he was 9 months old and he nursed once or twice at night/early morning. My husband later told me that he rarely if ever woke up during the feedings.) You don’t have to suffer from sleep deprivation. Try to plan for this but in the end, of course, it will all depend on your little one. 4. Establish a spot in your house where you can study/nurse comfortably (an oversized, squishy, comfy chair, or on the sofa with lots of pillows - maybe get one of those lap desks - or make up a place where you can prop up CFAI books, Schweser, whatever) and set up a spot next to it where the baby can sleep and you can keep an eye on them. A changing table close by is great. 5. Get a Snugli or a baby sling. Maybe carry your baby around on your person. Assuming the infant is still small, you can hold the baby/nurse in the carrier and study at the same time. 6. Hire/Ask for support or additional help. The daddy, your mother, mother-in-law, sisters, aunts, cousins, family - hire a nanny, babysitter - whatever is going to work for your situation and circumstances. 7. Do not underestimate the post-partum recovery period. Do not underestimate what your body will be going through to recover - physically, hormonally, mentally. Take it easy the first few days post-partum. 8. Use nap times during the day to study or have a nap yourself. Again, these are just suggestions to try to make it possible. It will be a formidable challenge, but hey, if you get a happy, laid back baby who takes easily to nursing, sleeps like a champ, and you have a great recovery - who knows? It could happen - having a newborn, studying and doing the exam. I hope it does!! I actually knew a managing director at one of the major investment banks who gave birth and was back on the job five weeks later, no problems. That woman was an amazon - a serious ball-buster. Lastly, you know this too - once you see your baby, it is possible that any thoughts of studying may fly out the window - the CFA exam be d@mned. There will be nothing like your new little one and of course, the whole bonding/adjustment/establishing schedules (feeding/sleeping, etc.)/getting your body back after the birth is SO IMPORTANT. It sounds like a cliche and maybe it is - but they are only this age once and it flies by. So enjoy it too. If once you are there and see your baby and have NO DESIRE to study, then don’t worry about the CFA exam and don’t beat yourself up. Do what is right for you and your little one. Anyway - I hope that this info helps and I’m sorry for the length. Congratulations on your new addition and best of luck going forward! CM

CM = Mother Teresa

I think CM smokes that reggie bush too

Man this thread got crazy… I recommend reducing reggie bush intake as the exam nears as it has been proven to negatively effect your short term memory. I however am a supporter of reggie bush as well.

get a life tigas…at least he was actually trying to help. maybe worry more about studying than who is male or female…

cm98041 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Corinthia: > > I thought I would post some thoughts about trying > to study while being on mat leave. My son is a > little older but maybe I can offer some > CM Great thoughtful post. I personally would do Level 2 later, babies are massive stress, the CFA L2 is stress madness, so I really don’t think you should kill yourself. Is it even possible to concentrate with a new born? L1 I would say you can with confident, L2, not so confident. If you can get a nanny or have one awesome husband… maybe…If you get really stressed out, it can’t be good for the baby, then can sense the negativity and you may get more frustrated with the baby from the L2 stress if it doesn’t eat, sleep, poop, be quite… How much do you treasure your new born experience? I wouldn’t taint it. The CFA exams won’t go anywhere. I guess you can start and if it’s not working out, delay L2, if you can, study keep going.

Investor83 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > get a life tigas…at least he was actually > trying to help. maybe worry more about studying > than who is male or female… Reggie Wrote: “…I’m not on maternity and I’m not a female. All I can tell you, from my unparalleled reasoning skills, is that if your baby is less work then your 9-5 job than you should have an easier time with it. The more time the better, if you use it wisely. Everyone has varying levels of intellect and experience, no one can give you a straight answer on how easy/hard it is to prepare…” what a f&/%$#" HELP!!! amazingly valuable, to say the least ok…trying is the only think you got right… watch your back…maybe “I Passed Level 1” is already pushing you into his AF guardian team…I think you fit well together. and ask him about the pills…a true advice from your friend tigas…you are too young 83, I’m worried take care

Corinthia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > To the female candidates on the CFA Program - > have any of you prepared for the CFA exams whilst > on maternity leave? I’m going to be off work and > on maternity leave for the 4-6 months leading the > the June exam. How easy/hard is it to prepare? I’ve never heard of anyone succeeding but, on the other hand, it’s probably not a very common situation and you may well be among the first ones to have this problem. Put it this way: what is the worst thing that can happen? It is that you have prepared half-way through and will be able to take the exam in June 2011, the year after, when you’ll have to buy a second set of books. Now that on the other hand will surely happen to lots of people regardless. I have a former colleague who took lots of university classes on finance and project management while on maternity leave so, judging by her, you’ll no doubt be able to pull this off. More importantly, she also mentioned it was vital for her having something else to do, and not just sit at home with the baby all day long. I forgot to add: She probably also has what someone referred to as “an awesome husband” and had arranged good child care for her other toddler.

MehdiOchre Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Corinthia Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > Put it this way: what is the > worst thing that can happen? It is that you have > prepared half-way through and will be able to take > the exam in June 2011, the year after, when you’ll > have to buy a second set of books. Now that on the > other hand will surely happen to lots of people > regardless. > Excellent point. You have nothing to lose by attempting L2 next June. Perhaps the baby will enhance your motivation level and actually become supportive to the quality of your studies. This is such a personal decision, you’ll decide how your time is best spent once the baby arrives. Just give yourself a break if it doesn’t go as planned (which will most likely happen). Your child will be absolute priority, everything else is secondary and will happen at the right time. Regarding the nursing post - I’m not sure if you were referring to breast feeding or not. Breast feeding will drastically reduce the chances of your baby becoming sick or catching an infection. Congratulations Corinthia, and best wishes to you.