favorite person in history?

Ben franklin said politicians are like pampers, the both stink and act like babies

^ Ben could see the future? Pampers weren’t introduced until the early 1960’s

thats why it was so controversial when he said that :bulb:

Ben Franklin’s virtues are similar to parts of the Rule of St. Benedict, written over 1400 years ago.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_Saint_Benedict

Humility

Chapter 5 prescribes prompt, ungrudging, and absolute obedience to the superior in all things lawful, “unhesitating obedience” being called the first degree, or step, of humility.

Chapter 7 divides humility into twelve degrees, or steps in the ladder that leads to heaven:(1) Fear God; (2) Subordinate one’s will to the will of God; (3) Be obedient to one’s superior; (4) Be patient amid hardships; (5) Confess one’s sins; (6) Accept the meanest of tasks, and hold oneself as a “worthless workman”; (7) Consider oneself “inferior to all”; (8) Follow examples set by superiors; (9) Do not speak until spoken to; (10) Do not readily laugh; (11) Speak simply and modestly; and (12) Express one’s inward humility through bodily posture. Sincerity Chapter 20 directs that prayer be made with heartfelt compunction rather than many words

Chapter 34 prescribes a just distribution of such things.

Chapters 36 and 37 address care of the sick, the old, and the young.

Chapter 48 emphasizes the importance of daily manual labour

Chapter 53 deals with hospitality.

Chapter 68 orders that all cheerfully try to do whatever is commanded, however hard it may seem.

Chapter 73, an epilogue, declares that the Rule is not offered as an ideal of perfection, but merely as a means towards godliness, intended chiefly for beginners in the spiritual life.

ben franklin’s appearance on the Office makes him a GOAT of history

^ Didn’t Ben Franklin have syphilis?

bill gates, buffett, munger, steve jobs, lenin

I thought Ben Franklin was actually a douche and had many mistresses.

I remember reading about how he had some assistant (can’t remember which one, but he became a president) come work for him in Paris who was raised on poor Richards almanac and shit, who was blown away thinking that this dude would be a really virtuous dude but Ben turned out to not follow any of the things he wrote about at all.

bill gates is the most generous person in history right now (even if adjusted for inflation). 30 billion donated so far. plans to donate 95% of wealth at death. he’s currently worth 90b.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/bill-gates/9812672/Bill-Gates-interview-I-have-no-use-for-money.-This-is-Gods-work.html

Read lord of light then, American gods got nothing on it

Lord of Light is set on a planet colonized by some of the remnants of “vanished Urath,” or Earth. The crew and colonists from the spaceship Star of India found themselves on a strange planet surrounded by hostile indigenous races and had to carve a place for themselves or perish. To increase their chances of survival, the crew has used chemical treatments, biofeedback and electronics to mutate their minds and create enhanced self-images, or “Aspects,” that “strengthened their bodies and intensified their wills and extended the power of their desires into Attributes, which fell with a force like magic upon those against whom they were turned.” The crew has also developed a technology to transfer a person’s atman, or soul, electronically to a new body. This reincarnation by mind transfer has created a race of potential immortals and allowed the former crew members to institute the Hindu caste system, with themselves at the top.

The novel covers great spans of time. Eventually, the crew used their now-great powers to subjugate or destroy the native non-human races (whom they characterize as demons) while setting themselves up as gods in the eyes of the many generations of colonist progeny. Taking on the powers and names of Hindu deities, these “gods” maintain respect and control of the masses by maintaining a stranglehold on the access to reincarnation and by suppressing any technological advancements beyond a medieval level. The gods fear that any enlightenment or advancement might lead to a technological renaissance that would eventually weaken their power.

The protagonist, Sam, who has developed the ability to manipulate electromagnetic forces, is a renegade crewman who has rejected godhood, taking for himself the role of Siddhartha Gautama/Buddha. Sam is the last “Accelerationist”: He believes that technology should be available to the masses, and that reincarnation should not be controlled by the elite. Sam introduces Buddhism as a culture jamming tool and strives to cripple the power of the gods with this “new” religion. His carefully planned revolt against the gods takes place in stages: "An army, great in space, may offer opposition in a brief span of time. One man, brief in space, must spread his opposition across a period of many years if he is to have a chance of succeeding

What did I just read?

There is a short story you may dig. “The gold at starbows end.”

Great points

Surprised nobody has mentioned Nikola tesla - the real OG of the workings of the universe and nature of reality.

but let’s be honest, Turd

AJ > N. Tesla

amirite6?

They both pretty woke… close call.

Eight years ago I interviewed Harry Markowitz (y’all remember him: the father of Modern Portfolio Theory), and one of the questions he insisted that I ask him is that if he could be anyone in history, at any time, who would he be, and when.

His answer was that he would be James Clerk Maxwell on the day that he determined that the speed at which electricity moves through a medium is the speed of light (in a vacuum).

I can’t do better than that.

As a bonus: Maxwell was a Scotsman.

yo S2K, why have you been dodging my questions? All I want to know is: have you ever been required to read The Law of One as part of your job?

Sounds boring AF.