FI trader

buddy of mine asked if I had any insight into this role, but since I dont, thought I’d check the forum since some of you may be in fixed income. Apparently the role deals with meeting 401k-type institutional clients, figuring out their ‘tax exempt fixed income’ needs, then executing said such trades. Any info I can pass on that deals with what to expect in the job quality/interview phase/salary, etc would be beneficial. thanks

CFAdetroit, I’m more of a prop trader than an institutional trader (which for him sounds like it’s really more of a salesman/trade executor job than anything), but email me if the following doesn’t answer your questions properly. Job quality - pretty awesome; if you can land a couple of big accounts (you’ve got a nice golf game and/or you’re quick-witted/people like you) you can make some nice money for some really thoughtless and not very strenuous work. The hours are awesome as you’ll be pulling 45-50 hour work weeks. Interview phase - too general to answer; knowing your numbers certainly helps and be prepared for all the standard brain-teasers (ping-pong balls in a 747, eggs in the U.S., etc.); the number of interviews and length of time they take to make a decision has a direct correlation to how senior the position is he’s applying for - as he’s asking you for insight, I’m going to go out on a limb and say that he’ll be pretty junior. As such, I’d be shocked if he had to come in more than twice - they want to make sure that’s he’s not hideously ugly and can speak with a reasonable amount of confidence, and also that he knows his technicals enough to be of some service to them… Salary - tough to venture a guess based on the info provided, but if I had to guess, I’d say $130ish with a 40% bonus…just shooting from the hip with that one… np_skillionaire@yahoo.com