finance job prestige ladder

What are your thoughts on the perceived prestige for different roles in finance? I’m not talking MD > VP > Associate, since that’s straightforward. I want to focus on job function within the realm of BDs and HFs.

If I had to list, my perception goes something like this: Portfolio Manager Trader Sales Banker Quant Research / Strategist Execution Operations IT, Accounting, Consulting, Compliance, HR, Branch Teller, Fidelity, etc

Over the years, there have been a lot of truly awful threads on AF. And yet somehow, they continue to set new highs (lows?). Nice work.

NakedPuts Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Over the years, there have been a lot of truly > awful threads on AF. And yet somehow, they > continue to set new highs (lows?). Nice work. I know that it sucks that prestige is so important and role-based in finance, but it took me quite some time to figure it out. Honestly, it was something I wish I understood better while I was looking at entry jobs.

It is not YE *yet* but ya got a lock on d-bag thread of the year yo.

Fidelity Everything else

Fidelity God

justin88 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If I had to list, my perception goes something > like this: > > Portfolio Manager > Trader > Sales > Banker > > > > Quant > > > > Research / Strategist > Execution > > > > Operations > > > > IT, Accounting, Consulting, Compliance, HR, Branch > Teller, Fidelity, etc You put consulting below ops? lol Yet strategist is above ops? Were you born in 1988 by chance? Might explain your list.

Let’s get real… From your original list, (ex-Fido, gosh is that joke getting old): Portfolio Manager Research / Strategist Banker Quant Trader Execution Consulting Sales Accounting Operations IT Compliance Branch Teller HR (how is this finance related anyway? HR is HR)

Kind of funny XSS, that Consulting may be higher than Sales on the prestige ladder, but is far, far behind in terms of compensation.

XSellSide Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Let’s get real… From your original list, > (ex-Fido, gosh is that joke getting old): > > Portfolio Manager > Research / Strategist > Banker > Quant > Trader > Execution > Consulting > Sales > Accounting > Operations > IT > Compliance > Branch Teller > HR (how is this finance related anyway? HR is HR) From my perspective this is more accurate. I personally would love to be a consultant because I dont really mind changing location very often. However, I am WAY too young to have any real perspective on the prestige of the “financial job ladder.” I think any one my age should be more focused on getting in/staying in the industry than the title on their Business Card.

is this list for you, co workers or general public? general public will think your a stock broker and what ever that even means. I stopped trying to explain your co workers either 1. dont care 2. hate you cause you have a better/worse job you- if titles matter then shoot for what ever you think is the best. I rather have $$ then title

Why is HR and compliance in there? Ridiculous thread

#1 BSD/V #2 Everyone else

I think compliance qualifies for CFA experience not sure about HR though. Btw i heard people in HR make good coinage…

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >Btw i heard people in > HR make good coinage… Saracasm? If not, then yes, if you are heading large country office HR ops for Merck or something, otherwise no.

LBriscoe Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I think compliance qualifies for CFA experience > not sure about HR though. Btw i heard people in > HR make good coinage… LOL

People I would not like to talk with: HR, accountants, ops [in that order].