Financial Advisor at MSSB looking to get into PM

Hey guys. I am new to the forum. Pleasure to meet you all. I have been a broker at Morgan for about a year and I am debating making to switch into equity research and eventually PM. It truly is my passion. Would it make sense for me to take CFA level 1 in December, assuming June is a little to late for me, so that I can transition into research easier or would it be smarter to get a position first? Keep in mind, I am in Philadelphia. The job opportunities are a little more rare to a NYC and I don’t want to relocate.

You’re better off posting this on the ‘General Discussion’ board Alan. Lots of wise heads on there…

I posted there. Thank you for the advice.

Hey there. I noticed you were taking a lot of flack on your other posting and wanted to add some actual encouragement and advice. I’m in a similar boat. I’m a credit analyst for a hospital but am transitioning back to ER. I graduated recently too and took a job I had better hoped would leverage me into the ER field. If you’re serious about getting into ER I would definitely take the CFA in December. I would also become an active member in your local chapter (Philly Society) and try to network through there as well. A lot of jobs are posted through local CFA societies so that’s a great start, which you can join immediately after registering and becoming a Level I candidate. I would also consider returning to school to get your MBA, ideally one that has a Student Managed Investment Fund. The more experience and networking opportunities you can get, the better your chances are to succeeding in this competitive field. Best of luck next December for ya.

Haha, thank you. Finally someone nice and with positive advice. I don’t understand how some of these people say that CFA is easy and it doesn’t mean anything. Regardless, I hope you have a good transition back in. I’m sure if you want it, you’ll get it. I guess it’s time to sign up and buy study material haha.

Hey man, I’m an FA @ MSSB in Southern CA. I have a useless undergrad degree and I’m just studying to take L1 in June. I read what people said on the general discussion forum- pretty outrageous. If you want do equity research- do equite research. There’s jobs out there, you just have to find them. I’ve been fortunate enough to be well connected and I’m currently in the process of interviewing for a jr. analyst position at a boutique consulting firm. I’m young as well, actually younger than you. Gotta keep that in mind- we have a lot of time to do whatever we decide it is we want to do. Some AFers can be a harsh, I wouldn’ pay any attention to it. I’ll probably get destroyed for writing this by brilliant people on here with MBA’s, etc., but it’s just a blog- who cares?

Haha, good to see a fellow legacy on board. Very good advice, thank you. How long have you beem at the firm and what side?

I’ve only been with the firm since November, I’m on the Smith barney side.

That is good to know. You are lucky to be on the Smith Barney side. I’ve been told that the platform is a lot better than my Morgan side. I wish you the best of luck with it.

Hey Alan, I leave for the Jersey trip in two weeks. Any insight?

Performance session 1 is a good time. There really is nothing to do. It is class all day, I think 8 AM to 5 PM most. Friday is a half day. There is a bar and a crappy gym at the hotel. Other than that, there isn’t much to do. You learn a good amount, but its kind of overloaded. The day you do cold calling is kind of fun because you are in a bullpen with a lot of people making fun of eachother. A good experience all said and done.