Financial Analyst - asset liability management

I have an interview for this position at a large bank. The position sounds what I am looking for, but I am wondering if its just some back office position with no real analysis. Anyone experienced in this and know what to expect? Questions to ask? Thanks.

It is a sort of middle office position .You will be responsible for managing the banks balance sheet .Report on interest rate and liquidity risk .Close any gaps in interest rates or liquidity position .In some banks you will be responsible for transfer pricing of the balance sheet ,pricing of structural liabilities like long term certificates , capital budgeting .It is very interesting job with a lot of analysis and recommendations ,your unit should be reporting to the top management through the ALCO .

You may be asked about bonds ,interest rate swaps and other hedging tools

parac0da, thank you for your reply! This position does report to the top management through the ALCO. I am looking for an analytical type position so this could be a good fit. What is the usual career path for this job? Is the money good? Does this qualify for CFA experience?

Any good questions to ask?

I am not sure about the usual career path for this Job (Although this is my job for the time being). The former head of my ALM unit is currently the CFO of another bank, the same for my current CFO .But I think this job will enable you to work in Product development, Dealing Front office, and treasury and market risk. Currently this one of the hot jobs in the commercial banking ,after the crisis its role started to grow up ,the experienced people in this career are less than the demand .yes it qualifies for the CFA experience and even large banks prefer candidates with CFA for the ALM manager role.

Yes ,you may ask if the bank has ALM policy or not ?how frequent is the ALCO being held ?do they have specailized ALM tools ? Do they perform statistical studies on the different balance sheet items ?

I recommend you to google the Job vacancies in ALM , the Job description is different from bank to another and may give you a floavour .

This might be a strange request, but would you mind if I emailed you the job posting and maybe you could comment on if it would be a good start in the field?

Greatest AF name. People should google it

i work in this area currently. Career path is usually an executive taking care of business. there is a ton you can learn.

SuperiorReturn Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Greatest AF name. > People should google it wow angry dragon is still my fav

Yes sure ,ahmedosama4@hotmail.com

FrankArabia Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i work in this area currently. > > Career path is usually an executive taking care of > business. there is a ton you can learn. Frank do you work for a commercial bank ?

I work for a top 3 Canadian bank.

Thanks Parac0da I am sending you an email