Financial Analyst or Hedge fund accountant - help!!!

I got 2 offers, one is financial analyst in the mining industry, the other is hedge fund accountant from an asset management co, I don’t know which one I should take. The salary level is similar, any suggestion for me please~~

If I were you, I would take Analyst position in mining, with a hope that I might have a shot to become mining (equity) analyst or manager of resources fund in the future.

For me, financial analyst in the mining industry. You have to go with what interests you the most. Almost any job title with ‘accountant’ in the title is of little interest to me

Is it much easier to transfer to an equity analyst from a finanical analyst position in mining industry than from a hedge fund accountant? My dream job is to become an equity analyst, I just got CFA designation this year, but I haven’t got any interview opportunity when I am applying for the equity analyst online.

Take the mining gig. But be careful, you don’t want to get caught having sex with a miner.

^^^HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

4/5 times “financial analyst” = accountant.

Agree with commstudent. The word “analyst” just gets the fresh grad to bite.

Guy’s what about an analyst in the pharma industry, etc.? Same thing?

There is an element of choice involved HAHAHA

I am currently a financial analyst in a small tech company and concur, most times in industry jobs it is equal to an accounting position. I took this because I wanted to be more in finance (my masters is in Finance) and coming from a Big 4 background as a Auditor and CPA, it was not easy to get exactly what I wanted. Most I interviewed for though, it became very clear you would do a significant amount of accounting. Even mine at times has had to be because of need and my past background. I think you should make clear what you want and expect. Currently (and I think somewhat because they know I just took CFA level 1) my company is very much trying to ensure I am in a more finance role (The economics of projects, accept/reject decisions, cost improvement programs, Currency impacts, all interest me more than the accounting roles) as I have made it clear this is my interest. Again, I just suggest to get an understanding of the day to day expected duties (asking what other positions they currently have filled will also help to see who is doing what and what is left to do) and make clear your wishes. Flip side is, at most hedge funds I interviewed with, they make it very clear you wont be moving from back office. Of course, this turned out good for me as it lets me run my business (I have a side business as well) and go for the CFA.

kevinf12 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I am currently a financial analyst in a small tech > company and concur, most times in industry jobs it > is equal to an accounting position. I took this > because I wanted to be more in finance (my masters > is in Finance) and coming from a Big 4 background > as a Auditor and CPA, it was not easy to get > exactly what I wanted. Most I interviewed for > though, it became very clear you would do a > significant amount of accounting. Even mine at > times has had to be because of need and my past > background. > > I think you should make clear what you want and > expect. Currently (and I think somewhat because > they know I just took CFA level 1) my company is > very much trying to ensure I am in a more finance > role (The economics of projects, accept/reject > decisions, cost improvement programs, Currency > impacts, all interest me more than the accounting > roles) as I have made it clear this is my > interest. > > Again, I just suggest to get an understanding of > the day to day expected duties (asking what other > positions they currently have filled will also > help to see who is doing what and what is left to > do) and make clear your wishes. > > Flip side is, at most hedge funds I interviewed > with, they make it very clear you wont be moving > from back office. > > Of course, this turned out good for me as it lets > me run my business (I have a side business as > well) and go for the CFA. Kev what are your plans in the long run? Do you want to eventually get into a more asset management FO type of role? I’m currently a FA and it’s boring hell out of me- I’m thinking about going into a Fin Analyst role but I’m scared to take one that’s not in Fin Services…am I being ridic? Is out okay to work as a Fin Analyst in a non Financial firm while taking the CFA and eventually moving into an Investment Man firm?

Kev what are your plans in the long run? Do you want to eventually get into a more asset management FO type of role? I’m currently a FA and it’s boring hell out of me- I’m thinking about going into a Fin Analyst role but I’m scared to take one that’s not in Fin Services…am I being ridic? Is out okay to work as a Fin Analyst in a non Financial firm while taking the CFA and eventually moving into an Investment Man firm? -------------- Well, I do consider that I would like to get into an equity analyst or research role investment management, etc, but it isnt set in stone. I think if I didnt have my side business it would be an easier decision, as right now my time is more valuable and having a job that provides significant free time and flexibility is important. But I do have a couple of contacts (through a friend so not super strong network) at both local and national investment firms (in various roles). I came here for previous mentioned reasons as well as because the thought is we would go public in 2008/2009 and I would like to be involved in that process. I am not the best person to answer whether being a financial analyst at an industry job will limit you, but my intuition is that perhaps it could, but could also help if you were to get on as an analyst for that specific industry. Again, there are certainly more qualified people to give this answer. I should probably have a more definitive plan, but currently I am just trying to work on CFA while I decide. Once I get my results for level one, I might be tempted to see what is out there. I am what I consider older in terms of taking too long to decide (27 last August) so I do need to see what makes the most sense. If we are not going public in 2009, I feel I am compelled to leave (especially if at that point I have CFA level 1 and/or 2). Sorry for the long note, would love to hear others thoughts.

it’s hard to make a decision, but thanks all for your kind help :slight_smile:

If you want to know more about general financial analyst roles, email me at kevin_f1@hotmail.com. I can tell you both about mine and those I encountered at Big 4 accounting (Deloitte) and depending on where you live, could possible know someone to give more information on the role (you never know, right?).

I’m a Financial Analyst at a non-financial firm and I am counting the days until I get out of this place. I plan to leverage the reputation/size of my current employer on my resume, though. If no one has heard of the mining company, I would think hard about what you expect to get out of the position. If you are like most CFA types, you’re not going to enjoy the work.

Ask what type of FA position it is. If its something in Treasury or Corp/Development it could be worth it. If its something like management accounting or regulatory reporting then Id go with hedge fund accountant.

I will give you my experience: I worked at a small R&D shop as an assistant controller in Ohio. Job was great, hours were great, but Ohio wasn’t – I moved to OH after undergrad solely because of a personal reason. Anyhow, my bosses and I got along marvelously; so, when I told them that I was interested in moving to NYC, after 2 years under their tutelage, they were very accepting of me traveling to interview. My immediate goal was to take the first decent position in NYC that I could land. After two months of traveling between Ohio and NYC I ended up deadlocked between two positions. Suffice it to say I made a mistake. I took a promising role in a successful start-up insurance company as a financial analyst within an actuarial group with limitless exposure to top management [boy it sounded good back then]. My other offer was at a small hedge fund within an operations role that paid considerably less and seemed very limited [hindsight is 20/20???]. Little did I realize how I would impair my fungibility (had to use a CFA/financial term) by taking the insurance job. I have spent the last two unhappy years at my company with the saving grace having passed level 1 in June. My job search started in August with little avail. I am currently interviewing for a research role that analyzes insurance companies. However, the potential suitor’s uncertain outlook hastened their desire to move forward for the time being. Additionally, the only reason that I have had the fortune of mustering up decent interviews results directly from networking luck. In each instance, my contact has let me know two thing 1) that the only reason that I stand any chance is because I am taking the CFA’s and 2) that it is going to be a tough sell without any Financial Services experience. Headhunters, recruiters, HR reps, and every other cold contact has told me that I will need to take a stepping stone move into financial services before I will be able to move into that perfect mid-office position [sarcasm???]. I do not trust headhunters nor do I want to take an interim job just to make another transition to mid-office. Here is a formula you won’t find in the CFAI Texts – (Stuck between a rock and a hard place) = (cfa level II prep + job search + gmat test) * (job you don’t like + industry you don’t want to be in). My advice to you, based on my mistakes, take the job in the industry that you want to be in as opposed to the role that you “think” sounds better. Make the equation as simple as possible. The only variable that you are certain about is that you want to be in Financial Services. P.S. I am so adamant about this that I took a 20 minute break