Financial calculator necessary?

Dear all, I’m wondering if a financial calculator is necessary for the exam, like generating rate or return otherwise obtained through trial and error method? Or other uses? Thanks so much, Elle

Be prepared to skip anywhere between 10 to 20 questions if you don’t bring a calculator.

I would love to see someone on the exam generating rates by trial and error, in less than 1.5 minutes.

Absolutely necessary !!! Unless you are one of the “super-human calculator”.

yes and only approved calcs. look at CFAI website for approved calcs

No you dont have to bring it, you can borrow one from your neighbor if necessary.

yeah dont bring a pencil either. you can write with your fingernail if you try hard enough.

and peeing in your pants during the test is acceptable

Only the laggards use calculators, people know that you’re serious business when you pull out an abacus.

abacus’ are not legal for the exam. everyone knows that.

jrbbikerx Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > abacus’ are not legal for the exam. everyone > knows that. That’s CFAI’s old policy! It had something to do with lead paint from China a few years back, I don’t remember all of the details, but that rule has since been repealed.

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > jrbbikerx Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > abacus’ are not legal for the exam. everyone > > knows that. > > > That’s CFAI’s old policy! It had something to do > with lead paint from China a few years back, I > don’t remember all of the details, but that rule > has since been repealed. SWEET - I was worried for a minute.

Check the CFAI website for the list of approved abacuses (abaci?)

both ok but abaci more useful for Scrabble.

Thanks for good replies. Was comparing financial calculator to simple ones, that’s my quesiton.

My colleague’s HP 17BII+ Financial Calculator broke down, it was 17 years old, and he immediately scoured the markets for a new copy of the same calculator. Good as it is that’s not one of the approved ones on the exam, mind you. But you may want to have one still for doing some easy calculations; otherwise there’s always Excel with the add-ons.

Elle It doesn’t matter if you can generate rates of return etc with a sunlight powered Casio DX12 - only two types of calculators are allowed. Bring one of them or don’t bring one at all.

MY TI arrived yesterday…complete with another textbook to wade through!

In all seriousness, if you don’t know which one to get, go with the BA II plus. It’s much easier to learn than the HP 12c. THose are the only two that you are allowed to bring.

NO its NOT. All who passed never used it.