Financial Modeling

Are there any good courses/programs to take to get a good hands on grasp? I know the basics but I would like a have a more in depth knowledge that would make me a more competitive candidate. I’m looking to move from govt. contracting finance more towards business case financial analysis that would require modeling experience.

what gov’t finance office do you work in? there is some modeling software / course called - “wall st prep” - i think is the name of it

Work with finance office of govt. contracting co. (Computer Sciences Corp). Thinking of moving to SBA or similar agency, evaluating financial soundness of business proposals/projects. Wallstreetprep has a premium self study package for $500, have you or anyone you know used them before? Don’t want to purchase it and it be a waste of money; thanks. http://www.wallstreetprep.com/programs/self_study/premium_package.php

Zesty Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Work with finance office of govt. contracting co. > (Computer Sciences Corp). Thinking of moving to > SBA or similar agency, evaluating financial > soundness of business proposals/projects. > > Wallstreetprep has a premium self study package > for $500, have you or anyone you know used them > before? Don’t want to purchase it and it be a > waste of money; thanks. > http://www.wallstreetprep.com/programs/self_study/ > premium_package.php I have WSP. It is ok, not sure if it is worth the money. I’ve used to to make a DCF and LBO model. I’m sure a textbook (bennigan or something) would work just as well.

Just mess around with Excel. Most of what I know about modeling is from my own use of Excel on my personal projects. Financial modeling is supremely easy if you know finance–if you don’t know finance, well, then taking courses on financial modeling will be of only marginal utility.

Already know finance; did some modeling coursework in grad program. Wanted something that would provide industry standard practices and something that would make a good resume tag-line.

Zesty, it’s pricey but a firm called Training the Street offers two day financial modeling seminars. I go to a business school that offers them occasionally at a discounted price, I went to one and if the price is what I think it is (~$1,500) then I think it would be worth it. That is assuming that financial modeling/analysis is what you want to do and you feel like you have a reasonable chance of breaking into the field. Of course I’m not sure about actual availability, so do some research first.