Finding a new job- Frustrated

I am gainfully employed at a well respected asset manager. I perform various middle/back office functions. I want to move over to the investments side of things. I am a new CFA Charterholder. Ideally I’d like to find a role within my firm, but there are very few openings. I did meet with someone who runs one of our investment teams, thought it went well, but have not gotten any feedback. Prior to my meeting with him there were layoffs in his group. I have sent my resume out to a few other firms in my area, but no responses. I know I should be grateful that I have a decent paying job, and I am, but I am still extremely frustrated that I have not been able to move to something more challenging/rewarding. Any advice?

How’d you get the charter in BO? I thought that was no dice as far as CFAi was concerned. I’d just keep at networking and don’t give up. Lot of qualified people out there looking for work right now. Do good work and people will notice. On another note, maybe it is your personality. You need to be a “cocksman” as Vince Vaughn said in Wedding Crashers. Learn how to BS and shoot the sh!t, go out to a few happy hours with the guys. Nobody likes a bookworm.

Lanikai Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > How’d you get the charter in BO? I thought that > was no dice as far as CFAi was concerned. > > I’d just keep at networking and don’t give up. Lot > of qualified people out there looking for work > right now. Do good work and people will notice. > > On another note, maybe it is your personality. You > need to be a “cocksman” as Vince Vaughn said in > Wedding Crashers. Learn how to BS and shoot the > sh!t, go out to a few happy hours with the guys. > Nobody likes a bookworm. My “middle office” work in performance and attribution apparently counted. unfortunately based on the situation opportunities to network with other folks at the firm are minimal. thanks for your suggestions.

Middle office is very tough; companies are looking for employees who have the potential of bringing in revenue

I started looking to switch career ever since the day I passed level I. For one reason or another, now I am waiting for my charter and I am still with the same employer. I empathize with you being stuck in an unrewarding middle office position. But 1). do keep looking, and 2). think outside the box.

Think of value propositions and present them to potential employers. WHY should they hire you? I would not want to hire someone that is just a cost centre.

phBOOM Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- >2). think outside the box. How big is the box?

^ Bigger than your head

Why don’t you talk to the PMs directly? I mean, shwo them what you can do right?

It is possible to get promoted from BO/MO upwards within the same firm, but you’re probably going to have to switch employers to get what you want.

It’s possible, you gotta make the opportunity happen. At least you know the end goal. It sounds like you have the contact in the area you work in, now you have to make your play. You are in a brilliant position if you already have goodwill in your firm.

Also, one of the best ways to make it happen is to get an offer elsewhere and leverage that to expedite the process within your firm. It worked for me.

try, try and try harder. I’m in the same boat, been looking for a few months…and now its even more shady with CFA LII on my head. Sometimes its hard to decide what to focus on, just keep working on it…atleast that’s how I console/motivate myself.

Thanks, all. I’ve been trying really hard, which may be the problem. I may be coming off as too eager. However there are few investments position openings are my firm currently and I am aware there are literally hundreds of resumes that come in for the good ones. It’s discouraging more so because I am a charterholder and I really thought this was going to help me launch things.

storko Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Think of value propositions and present them to > potential employers. > WHY should they hire you? I would not want to hire > someone that is just a cost centre. This is the best advice. Look from an employer’s perspective. If you want to be an investment analyst, hopefully before your interivew, you will be someone who already knows the investment process. Also, ask your front office folks for references, outside your company, where your background will find some reception. Remember, ask for a reference, not a job.

Internal transfer may not be a successful option. It does not look good on you boss and is hard for him to handle similar requests from your co-workers. I feel the CFA curriculum is still light on security analysis in the real world. A lot of soft skills just cannot be taught through books – and maybe that is why you did not get responses. Little of the middle office work I see can add value to active portfolio management… Possibly useful to manage index funds or ETFs? If you have many years of experience in middle office, you may be seen as expensive and your move may lead to a junior role and pay cut that potential employers doubt you would accept. Not to be discouraging, but just try to lessen your frustration.