Finished 1st pass

I feel like im way behind a lot of you guys since I just finished 1st pass… I want to complete a quick second pass… Any thoughts as to what strategize to make most use of my time…All opninions welcome !

Textbooks or Schweser?

Schweser …

I am about to finish my second pass on Schweser, and it felt like my first pass.

I read two chapters from schweser, one from FI (ABS/MBS) and one from PM (porfolio concepts). I can’t remember a damn thing. Is this what you guys mean by first pass? This is too much ughhhh!! I wanna SCREEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAMMMMMMMMMM!!!

I only did one pass (and mostly the VCDs from Schweser – I just couldn’t get into it this year). I’m focusing on questions (qbank) in some cases with my books open. I’ll just read what I don’t know as I go along…I started with basic/interm and now moving to interm/difficult qbankers. At this point, the key is staying focused. I lose my focus when I worry and stress about the test. So, just keep plugging along.

Give up now. IMO, if anyone just finished a “first pass” there’s no way that you can adequately prepare yourself in the remaining time for the exam. Just my two cents…

kyle1984: I had two passes three weeks back and then stopped due to illness. Now i wanna comeback. what do u feel if i allocate 10 hrs a day?

I think if you have the desire and willingness to do it, you will succeed. Go for it!

If you’re not working, aren’t in a relationship, and can honestly dedicate 10 hours a day, then you can probably do it. It will require extraordinary discipline and focus, though.

I just finished my 1st pass today (from Schweser) and I do not for a second believe that I will not be able to pass this Exam (with over 70% is near all sections) I work full time and I will be taking a week and a half before the exam. All the people I know who have cleared Level II have done it doing only Schweser (with only some of the Schweser practice exams) studying for 3 months with a full time job with minimal stress (much unlike this forum).

EChai, Cant agree with you more… Im using this forum for being updated to other’ emotions ( and efforts too) about this behemoth…in that sense Im always very grateful to all people out here… but sometimes…they just scare other’s beyond reason and logic…

Beware of what people told you about how much effort they have spent on L2 exam. Since people tend to report good news more than bad news (who wouldn’t). So you may be just looking at the top 5-10% of the exam population and your sample may not be representative on how much effort you need to spend on preparation of L2.

The people I refer to are friends and co-workers (including my boss) who going by their experience suggested timelines and study tips and areas to concentrate on for my preparation for Level II. In addition, since I know them since a while, I am also able to judge their memory retention and absorption levels - they are not ‘freaks’ who learnt everything in one read or work in the field and hence know everything there is to it. Even CFAI suggests 3-4 month preparation (250-300 hours) with the last month for review and practice exams. Not against anyone here on the forum who is putting on a lot more hours but stating that this is the ONLY way to clear the exam is a facetious argument. This is specifically in response to kyle1984’s statement. Everybody studies differently and has different absorption rates, test day performances and ‘peaking’ time … I for one manage to crunch in lot of detail and information in subsequent reviews close to the exam. The ‘heightened’ state spurs retention as it were.

Actually the CFAI recommended dosage on preparation hours could be slightly understated. I believe my local CFA Chapter reports in their FAQ that candidates typically spend closer to 350-400 hours in preparation. The mean is probably around 250-300 hours as prescribed. (I think what this translates to is, the distribution of time spent preparing for L2 is probably negatively skewed.) Well I am not going to judge on your sample (you know better than I do). If you feel your sample is representative of the whole candidate population, you may very well be correct. And if you feel you are the type of person that could crunch information under pressure and deliver, that could contribute to your chance of passing of L2 as well.

CFAI should following their own freaking Code and Standard and not breach D.Miscouduct by lying that this badboy takes 250 hrs. I think they were talking about the last month preparation, when you have a MBA and have spent 3 other months with the books already, then I could say 250 is good enough for the last month of prep. - SUCKERS

swaptiongamma Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > CFAI should following their own freaking Code and > Standard and not breach D.Miscouduct by lying that > this badboy takes 250 hrs. I think they were > talking about the last month preparation, when you > have a MBA and have spent 3 other months with the > books already, then I could say 250 is good enough > for the last month of prep. > > - SUCKERS +1

do you have 250 hours? you fail to also add on “people must be suitably unemployed while seeking this designation. That would make sure that no ethics is violated, like people studying and posting on a forum which is against the Loyalty to employer standard. " But if they do not study / post on forum while at work, they do not have 250 hours any more to study with…” what say you?

The 8.5 practice tests readily available will take 50+ hours. You’ll then spend an extra 20 reviewing these tests So now there are only 180 suggested hours left If you can read / do sections on 2000+ pages of textbook in under 180 hrs, and still have time to secret sauce, congratulations Like most of you, i am busy. I will probably put in near 400, and it may not be enough. I’m finishing my first pass next week, though I have the luxury of taking off the second half of May- which will provide the solid time blocks necesary for adequate practice testing. Good luck if you havent finished the material- it can be done but you have to cut back everything else- sorry

I probably read below average speed, and to make sense for CFAI text, i’ve maxed out at 16 pages / Hr rate. there are about 2400 pages. So just to read teh book, it takes about 2400/16 = 150 hrs. to solve problems and review problmes, after reading the chapter takes anohter 150 i’d think. And then, you realize all those 300 hrs is a waste cuz you can’t remember a damn thing. so another 300 hrs to repeat. 600 hrs should make you feel comfortable.