Firm fires man for 1.8 cent theft

How many of us have used company resources for personal use? Stamps Shipping envelopes printer for PDF notes Usual pens/post its/paper Had I worked in Berlin, I would have been imprisoned. BERLIN (Reuters) - A German company that fired a man for the theft of 1.8 euro cents (two U.S. cents) worth of electricity had no grounds for sacking him, a court ruled, dismissing the firm’s appeal against his reinstatement. Back Officer Oliver Beel lost his job after charging his Segway, a two-wheeled electric vehicle, at work in May 2009. After he connected the vehicle to the firm’s power source for 1-1/2 hours, his boss asked him to remove it. Twelve days later Beel found himself without a job. The court ruled that dismissal was disproportionate to the offense, especially given the “minimal electricity cost involved, the plaintiff’s 19-year employment by the company and the fact other employees charged mobile phones and digital photo frames at the firm’s expense without punishment.”

That’s evil. 19 years with a company, and you get fired for using 2 cents of power? That boss had a personal grudge against the guy for sure

Most people I meet don’t realize that this is technically a legal reason to fire someone in most US states.

Some minor usage of company property always happens. This case is frivolous!

He has a segway?

The problem is that while it may be a legal reason to fire someone, it’s not a rational reason. By firing them, you would have to pay all kinds of additional expenses, hire someone new, etc. The only reason why this would occur is if the manager is not being evaluated and has a grudge against the employee.

You actually don’t need a reason to fire someone in the US. At will employment, you can quit/be fired at any time for any reason. In theory.

Wow, good thing he didn’t take home a pencil. They might have tried to get his whole family fired from their places of work.

Can he file a case against his manager claiming that his manager fired him because of personal grudge, can he also get him fired? and what about reimbursement for emotion distress his manager caused him?

May it was because of the famous “i have a segway and you don’t” jealousy-leads-to-firing-employee-in-a-fit-of-rage disease

the US law is “employment at will.” you can fire anyone for any reason as long as its not discriminatory against a protected class. this guy was clearly fired b/c he sucks at his job and they’ve been looking for an excuse to get rid of him. unfortunately germany has fascist employment laws that require you to have a court-approved reason to fire someone. lame.

I’m sure the manager internally will be investigated, particuarly given the cost associated with this vs 2 cents.

Aristotle Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I’m sure the manager internally will be > investigated, particuarly given the cost > associated with this vs 2 cents. They may use a DCF valuation method to determine the PV of the business without this individual vs. the 0.02 of sunk costs. I would love to see their analysis on this!

This story cracks me up. Germans are not screwing around with austerity implementation.

If they wanted him gone, I’m sure they could’ve built a better case than this. Whether he was a shi1ty worker, a personal grudge, or the boss just hated the cut of his jib, he wasn’t fired for 1.8 cents.