First Time Fail,Reflection and strategical re-routing plan. Sincerely searching for your advises

Got it. Thank you. Class is obtained instantly by purchasing a designer handbag. That helps. Thanks for the explanation. Who knew…

Can pretty things be found at Carrefour or are pretty things only found at the high-end retailers?

In the states, you can buy designer furniture without the label at some lower end stores for a fraction of the cost. When I say designer, it is identical even to the point that is made by the same people during the same production run except it is sent to Z Gallerie instead of the high end store. Would this stuff, without the label, still be considered pretty and give my home a touch of class?

Thanks for responding. Much appreciated.

If it makes you feel better, definitely. …And the institute sponsors quite a few happy hours, so maybe with your contribution, they can sponsor even more.

I second Camille. We definitely do it for ourselves, not for men. Like your watch, certain goods are actually remarkably well crafted and made. My husband says “A $25 handbag has the same function as a $2,000 handbag but a $200 mountain bike (he’s really into that stuff) is nothing compared to a $3,000 bike”. May be true. May be a behavioral finance thing to think about? I like it, so I’ll buy it. And I make my own money too, so I can :wink:

Unfortunately, for your discussion with your hubby, the difference in the bikes is easily quantified. The same person on that 3k bike will have a lower time every time compared to riding the 200 dollar jobby.

And you do realize when you buy the 2k handbag, we, men, envision you coming home and saying “I bought this $25 dollar bag and burned $1975 just to piss you off and I don’t care that the $1975 could have gone toward our retirement or helped the local charity down the street.” We just don’t see the utility. You do. I get it. But I just don’t want to think the person I choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things. In fact, some of the trashiest women I know wear $5000 boots. They wouldn’t stop to throw water on you if you were burning because those boots might get wet, and I’m not even kidding.

Exactly my point. It makes sense - that’s why I’m saying although that may be true, a lot of women still find designer bags attractive even though they don’t “hold your stuff better” than other bags. Again - maybe we should look to behavioral finance for this wacky lust for beautiful purses.

I felt great after finishing the AM session with 5 minutes left and 0 points blank. But felt bad after the PM session - I was trapped by the ethics, alt investment and portfolio management, and literally finished the PM session with 5 minutes left! (I know that sucks compared to those who left the PM session an hour earlier…) And it turned out my feelings were right, my AM part is better than my pm and I end up with a pass.

I was quit busy with my job, so I started to take it serious on April 1st and devoted ~200 hours after April, plus some random hours before that, should be 250 hrs in total (Do not have CFA study leave…). I only read notes, and watched the videos for IPS parts to summarize some key words. Skipped the Ethics due to the time limits (And it all paid back, I got <50% in my Ethics part…) but managed to practice and summarize the mocks from 2009 to 2013 twice.

[/quote]

Unfortunately, for your discussion with your hubby, the difference in the bikes is easily quantified. The same person on that 3k bike will have a lower time every time compared to riding the 200 dollar jobby.

And you do realize when you buy the 2k handbag, we, men, envision you coming home and saying “I bought this $25 dollar bag and burned $1975 just to piss you off and I don’t care that the $1975 could have gone toward our retirement or helped the local charity down the street.” We just don’t see the utility. You do. I get it. But I just don’t want to think the person I choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things. In fact, some of the trashiest women I know wear $5000 boots. They wouldn’t stop to throw water on you if you were burning because those boots might get wet, and I’m not even kidding.

[/quote]

[/quote]

But I just don’t want to think the person I choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things. In fact, some of the trashiest women I know wear $5000 boots. They wouldn’t stop to throw water on you if you were burning because those boots might get wet, and I’m not even kidding.

[/quote]

“the person I want to think the person i choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things” - hey, please do not put words in her mouth. You knew that was not what she intended to say. Pulling up an example of your so called “trashest women” wearing expensive boots is not a very nice way of putting things in perspective, gentleman.

It is a CFA forum, the girl added a bit of light-hearted comments to her more serious topic. If she knew that she would be set up for a grand discussion, she might have chosen to answer your question more carefully. At the end of the day, she is not a politican.

Camillie, although I can’t give you advice on how to pass since I failed mine too… but I have so far solely used Schweser. Although, it might be unfair to Schweser implying that I didn’t pass it with their materials hence their materials are not good… my husband passed all his 3 levels using only Schweser notes. Good luck next year.

[/quote]

[/quote]

But I just don’t want to think the person I choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things. In fact, some of the trashiest women I know wear $5000 boots. They wouldn’t stop to throw water on you if you were burning because those boots might get wet, and I’m not even kidding.

[/quote]

“the person I want to think the person i choose to spend my life with thinks that class can be obtained through things” - hey, please do not put words in her mouth. You knew that was not what she intended to say. Pulling up an example of your so called “trashest women” wearing expensive boots is not a very nice way of putting things in perspective, gentleman.

It is a CFA forum, the girl added a bit of light-hearted comments to her more serious topic. If she knew that she would be set up for a grand discussion, she might have chosen to answer your question more carefully. At the end of the day, she is not a politican.

Camillie, although I can’t give you advice on how to pass since I failed mine too… but I have so far solely used Schweser. Although, it might be unfair to Schweser implying that I didn’t pass it with their materials hence their materials are not good… my husband passed all his 3 levels using only Schweser notes. Good luck next year.

[/quote]

Fair enough. But it’s fun to run with and some really do feel that way.

Schwesser notes if you want to save time Understand all the points though

I used the cfai material for levels 1 and 2. My 80/60/40 score was about 74 for both. For level 3 I used schweizer. The material looked easier and so I studied weekends alone instead of the weekends and week nights I did for the first two levels and that was a good thing with shweizer ( not sure if I am spelling that right) since I am married with kids and a working stiff. However I scored a lot lower in level 3 at a 80/60/40 score of 63 though I passed. So I am not sure what to tell you - maybe you will have a better quality of life with a test prep service (less of a slog) but it might hurt your scores a little.

With a little luck, a little inspiration and a little bit of hard work I am sure you will do well

Thank you Persistentmind and Ballon for backing me up…

I think it is better that I take this conversation private as this is not the kind of comments wanted for my thread.

Take heart – it’s possible to succeed after missing an exam on the first try. Not only is it possible, it’s the norm in the program, which takes an average of 4+ exams to complete.

This is an extremely difficult exam for a native English speaker as the CFAI appears to delight in presenting ambiguous questions, so taking it in your second language adds another level of complexity.

I highly recommend focusing your studies on the CFAI curriculum for two reasons: 1) The CFAI writes the test, not Schweser (or other prep provider). A complete reading of the the curriculum will help you master the CFAI way of answering questions. 2) A Band 5 results suggests that there may be key issues in the curriculum that you have not yet completely mastered, so a return to the beginning is in order.

In 2013 I failed L3 Band 9 but happily passed this year. Here’s what I did:

–Sept - Dec, read curriculum and make index cards of key lists/formulas. Did a few EOC problems and payed special attention to blue box questions.

–Jan - Mar, review curriculum by chapter. Read Schweser notes and work Schweser questions. Printed out all EOC questions from CFAI curriculum and worked them ALL. The EOC questions contain lots of item sets and essay questions from past exams on the material that is still in the curriculum.

–Took an excellent 6 week review course at NYSSA with Nathan Ronen. You can do this online. It is worth every penny.

– April-May, took all available CFAI mocks, the Schweser live mock, and the Schweser practice exams. I also did a timed, morning exam workshop at NYSSA which was graded and was quite helpful.

–First week of June, review of formulas and index cards.

Courage! Vous pouvez réussir L3 cette année.

Guys it’s her personal choice and this is a CFA L3 forum, lets not forget that and she is asking for CFA advice not whether she should buy branded stuff or not

Studied with only Schweser and did the CFAI EOC’s. Qbank helped for a little drilling…but mostly did EOC’s, 8 practice exams (6 schweser, 1 CFAI, 1 BSAS), and problems & essays in the extra CFAI practice exams available.

Used Schweser in pretty much the same capacity for CFA L1-L3 and CAIA L1-L2.

here’s how i read girls by fashion:

Hermes Berkin or Kelly: too obvious- wanna be- nouveau riche - or a very old lady

LV or Chanel: Asians or just being introduced into fashion

Gucci and Prada: too american

Goyard: fashionable 4 years ago - Now, the girl is just lagging behind

Cartier: different, unique (but some years their fashion is not good)

Versace some limited editions: has a great taste

Versace normal bags and the very limited editiond: yuk

Cavali- CH- D&G- Valentino- and the bunch: gets the job done, not too nice, not too bad.

CFA and a cool social girl: this is a dream girl. Smart and Cool

CFA and an average girl: Boring.

Blackomen,

Where do you find the 2006-2013 AM Mocks? (I am referring to CFAI)

This is so blatantly false, its ridiculous.