For the Job Hunters

For those of you who are currently in the job market, actively searching for new employment, I would love to hear about your experiences. On Wednesday, I had an interview with an Investment Bank who is looking to add a senior analyst to one of their teams. The VP said I would be invited to speak with a Director if they decided to proceed with my application. He then asked me to call him if I had any additional questions about the process or the position. I gave him a call on Friday with a question, left a message, and have not yet received a return call. I suppose the guy is swamped with work, they’re not interested, or they are still trying to decide whether to push me to the next round. Unfortunately, the fact that I haven’t gotten a call back from Friday seems to indicate they’re looking elsewhere. In any event, that’s my most recent experience. Looking forward to hearing your thoughts and personal stories.

yes, I’m having a rough time with it too. I’m looking for summer MBA internships. Had final rounds at several banks but just can’t seem to close the deal. It kind of burns when your classmates are holding offers from Goldman, and you can’t even get in at a boutique no one’s ever heard of. but screw banking, what I’d really like to do is work for an established hedge fund. I thought I nailed the interviews at a really interesting fund the other day, but no dice. the frustration continues…

naturallight Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > yes, I’m having a rough time with it too. I’m > looking for summer MBA internships. Had final > rounds at several banks but just can’t seem to > close the deal. It kind of burns when your > classmates are holding offers from Goldman, and > you can’t even get in at a boutique no one’s ever > heard of. > > but screw banking, what I’d really like to do is > work for an established hedge fund. I thought I > nailed the interviews at a really interesting fund > the other day, but no dice. > > the frustration continues… Have you spoken with some of your successful classmates? What are they doing differently throughout the interview process? Also, if you don’t mind my asking, which school are you currently attending and what is your occupational background?

One week, and still no return call from the VP at the bank. Starting to look like I’m out of the running for this one. I just had a recruiter send me a job posting for a “Senior Business Analyst” position. It’s doing econ/stat analysis, corporate finance types of activities, but it’s 9-5, casual dress (shorts and sandles, if that’s your thing), and pays a bit more than I’m making now. The downside is uncertainty with what sorts of exit opps would be available down the road.

yeah, the worst is getting the callback from the recruiter (not the banker). Then you know you’re shot. I’m at a top 15 program, but not a H/S/W. I would love to know what my classmates are doing differently–then I would do it! I feel like I’m not making any crucial errors, since I get to the final rounds. But I’m sure there’s more than a few things that aren’t working. I’ve noticed with the final rounds, the senior guys really get into you job before b-school, and my previous job isn’t too glamorous–more of an opps role. So I try to skip over that.

don’t skip over it. it is what it is so be proud of it. if you skip over it people think you have something to hide and that’s not good. just tell it like it is and described what you did.

nothing.