For those who passed, which test prep material did you use?

Schweser helped me pass on the first go, but I think it may have been marginal considering my results. It seems that a lot of the results I’ve seen from other postings showed a lot of people passing by >70% in 9 to 10 of the categories. Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - * - - Corporate Finance 20 - * - - Derivatives 12 * - - - Economics 24 - * - - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 * - - - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - * -

I passed with >70 in all except Corporate Finance (51-70%). I am not in finance, and currently working in IT for an investment bank. I started dedicating 2-3 quality hours everyday (measured by that day’s learnings) from January onwards, though missed it many times but catched-up during weekends. I joined a local coaching to keep the pace/length/breadth of the course material always in focus. Discussions and competitveness of with fellow classmates helped a lot to always be on toes. Schweser was my mantra, completed almost every LOS two times from Schweser, referred CFA text-book fully for FSA & Ethics (solved exercises fully), however did so only cursorily for other topics (after/between Schweser). Prepared on all Schweser EoS exercises, CFA text exercise, Schweser sample exam (Vol 1 and first 3 exercises of Vol 2) as well as some question banks and software tests. Took CFA institute sample exams too, but not mock tests (it was almost exam week after all this and thought it could be confidence killing now to appear in mock tests). Kept scores in strict scrutiny (used my wife to do so :-), she is an ACCA L3 candidate) with working consistently on weaker areas. Worth to mention I spent all May grooming my test performance using all kind of material I had. Not sure where I made those 7-10 mistakes in Corporate Finance, otherwise it was Ethics and Economics which was somewhat chilling my bones after exam (oops missed to mention…and even more after logging to AF :-)).

Transcribed all 6 volumes. Then, I read the copied text aloud into a digital voice recorder, and then I transcribed that.

I just joined this forum yesterday, I wish I had seen it when I first started studying for the test and had no life. I passed!!! I only used the CFAI material. For level II I am definitely going with both the CFAI material and Schweser

• Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - * I used the Schweser Premium solution and am sure that it was a main contributor behind my marks. Was really good to have a weekly online program after reading the material as it helped to pick up on any points that were unclear or that I may have missed. Not trying to sound like I’m pushing the Schweser products, just saying they really helped me through on my first attempt at Level 1. I spent the vast majority of my study time reviewing the Schweser Study Notes, watching online classes and completing the question bank/practice exams. The key was in the practice exams leading up to the exam.

Multiple Choice Q# Topic Max Pts <=50% 51%-70% >70% - Alternative Investments 8 - - * - Corporate Finance 20 - - * - Derivatives 12 - - * - Economics 24 - - * - Equity Investments 24 - - * - Ethical & Professional Standards 36 - - * - Financial Statement Analysis 48 - - * - Fixed Income Investments 28 - - * - Portfolio Management 12 - - * - Quantitative Methods 28 - - *

I used 2008 CFAI books for ethics, Quant and FSA Schweser 2007 for FI, EQ, AI

Blackychan Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I just joined this forum yesterday, I wish I had > seen it when I first started studying for the test > and had no life. > > I passed!!! > > I only used the CFAI material. For level II I am > definitely going with both the CFAI material and > Schweser that is my plan too – congrats on passing