Forbes 2009 Most Expensive Cities (hint: NYC not even close)

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!! Maybe I could send them out with my Christmas cards too!

Deal. I’ve got Microsoft paint loaded up.

Bridgeport, CT is ghetto. I don’t understand how this city is a part of this list or infact in any list beside highest crime city list.

Lol @ bernie_m’s silent exit from the thread.

^lol

bernie_m is probably trying to figure out how to photoshop a n@ked bear hug Christmas card with i<3i<3math …

Who you calling a bear? No back hair over here.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Who you calling a bear? No back hair over here. do you wax?

No, naturally hairless. Some very minor chest hair but I manscape it regularly. Chest hair was so '80s.

This list seems sketchy. San Jose > San Francisco - no way. Do they adjust this for average cost per size of the rental properties? For instance, maybe San Francisco has younger people than San Jose, so they rent smaller apartments with high cost per square foot. Among the people I know, it is fairly typical for fresh college graduates to get jobs in San Francisco, but move to surrounding suburbs once they have families.

There is zero possibility that it would cost me more to live in Seattle than in NYC.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYC = rent control > If you took that out, I am sure it would be way > higher on the list. Rent control drives up housing costs for everyone. This is a well known phenomena in urban studies. You seem to be saying that regulated housing initiatives keep the cost of housing low, but empirically this isn’t the case. I’ve said this many times before and I will say it again now, New York is only as expensive as you let it be. Once you start factoring in transportation costs, NYC would probably fall off the top 50 list.

^completely agree

Hello Mister Walrus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > There is zero possibility that it would cost me > more to live in Seattle than in NYC. Couldn’t disagree more.

These statistics are skewed by the fact that they are measured by MSAs. The New York MSA includes a hugh population of low income housing areas. Altough the Bridgeport MSA includes some bad areas, it is dominated by suburban McMansion neighborhoods. Similarly, Trenton, NJ is an absolute hole where you could could live like a king on next to nothing but you wouldn’t want to. The Trenton MSA, however, includes Lower Bucks County, PA and Princeton, NJ. The high costs of living in these areas dominate the low cost of living in Trenton because almost no one actually lives in Trenton. I’m not that familiar with the Cali. areas, but I imagine it is a similar story.