Forbes 2009 Most Expensive Cities (hint: NYC not even close)

http://www.forbes.com/2009/10/06/housing-costs-mortgage-lifestyle-housing-cities.html Where Americans Pay Most To Live Francesca Levy, 10.06.09, 04:00 PM EDT Housing costs–including taxes, insurance and utilities–cost residents of these 20 metros most. San Jose commands the largest amount in housing costs of all metro areas we surveyed for this story. After you’ve shelled out for your monthly mortgage payments (or gross rent, if you’re a renter), not to mention utilities, taxes and insurance, you’ll be $1,828 poorer in this Silicon Valley hub. High monthly costs in places like San Francisco ($1,660) and Washington, D.C., ($1,706) don’t necessarily make owning and renting terribly expensive for area residents–median household incomes in many of these places are similarly high, $76,848 in San Francisco, for example. But to a person from Augusta, Ga., where most people pay somewhere around $751 per month, housing costs upward of $1,300 seem prohibitive. 1 San Jose, CA 2 Bridgeport, CT 3 Oxnard, CA 4 Washington, DC 5 San Francisco, CA 6 Santa Cruz, CA 7 Vallejo, CA 8 Honolulu, HI 9 San Diego, CA 10 Santa Rosa, CA 11 Boston, MA 12 Santa Barbara, CA 13 Los Angeles, CA 14 Napa, CA 15 Trenton, NJ 16 Riverside, CA 17 Poughkeepsie, NY 18 Manchester, NH 19 Seattle, WA 20 New York, NY

NYC = rent control If you took that out, I am sure it would be way higher on the list.

I live in Arlington right outside of DC, where I pay what seems to be a ridiculous amount in rent each month for what I get, but I was always under the impression that NYC was still much more. I guess that’s where location, location, location comes into play. I haven’t looked in awhile, but what’s an average rent for a 1bd/1ba in a decent part of NYC?

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYC = rent control > If you took that out, I am sure it would be way > higher on the list. It all depends on if they include rent controlled apts. or not in their stats. No rent control would drive down overall rent in the city.

Surprised at this list.

kevin.venanzi Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I live in Arlington right outside of DC, where I > pay what seems to be a ridiculous amount in rent > each month for what I get, but I was always under > the impression that NYC was still much more. I > guess that’s where location, location, location > comes into play. I haven’t looked in awhile, but > what’s an average rent for a 1bd/1ba in a decent > part of NYC? For a true 1 bed in Manhattan, I would say ~2500/month is a good average (more for doorman, less for walkup).

packattack4 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > kevin.venanzi Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I live in Arlington right outside of DC, where > I > > pay what seems to be a ridiculous amount in > rent > > each month for what I get, but I was always > under > > the impression that NYC was still much more. I > > guess that’s where location, location, location > > comes into play. I haven’t looked in awhile, > but > > what’s an average rent for a 1bd/1ba in a > decent > > part of NYC? > > > For a true 1 bed in Manhattan, I would say > ~2500/month is a good average (more for doorman, > less for walkup). Ok, that’s about what I was thinking. I pay around ~1900 for about 900sqft.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYC = rent control > If you took that out, I am sure it would be way > higher on the list. This is probably the dumbest comment I’ve seen on this site in a while. Less than 2% of NYC apartments are rent controlled. Next.

iheartiheartmath Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > bernie_m Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > NYC = rent control > > If you took that out, I am sure it would be way > > higher on the list. > > > This is probably the dumbest comment I’ve seen on > this site in a while. Less than 2% of NYC > apartments are rent controlled. Next. BS. Only ~35% of apartments in Nyc are unregulated. Plus 15% of pop lives in public housing, and outer boroughs are much cheaper. Ps. Oh yeah, go &)&; yrself, pretentious as$hole.

^ fight fight fight, i love watching iheartiheartmath fights with everyone

Chr!st this is embarrassing…for you: New York City numbers based on 2005 US Bureau of the Census Type Units % of Units Rent Controlled 43k 2% I’m done here.

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > NYC = rent control > If you took that out, I am sure it would be way > higher on the list. BTW, even if this comment was remotely close to being factually correct, it’s still utterly stupid because it’s like saying “if Wall Street didn’t exist, then Fargo, SD would be the financial capital of the US” or “if you took high cost apartments out of San Jose, then it would not be so expensive.”

grrrr … Can’t you guys just hug it out?

bernie_m Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > BS. Only ~35% of apartments in Nyc are > unregulated. Plus 15% of pop lives in public > housing, and outer boroughs are much cheaper. So, assuming you’re right (which obviously you’re not), basically you’re saying if we ignore the 7,990,000 out of 8,000,000 NYC residents who don’t live on 5th Avenue between 59th and 86th streets, then NYC would rate much higher on the list? Well sh!t why didn’t I realize that before, you are a frickin’ genius! Madoff could’ve used your help last year.

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > grrrr … > > Can’t you guys just hug it out? No, but you and I can.

daviskr Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > grrrr … > > Can’t you guys just hug it out? you are not endlessly entertained (for free) by iheartiheartmath’s “passion” mixed with extreme aggressiveness/bellicosity! i sit on the sidelines, loving this, getting educated and entertained!

We can hug it out on one condition … For the rest of the week, you can only make positive encouraging posts. LOL!!!

Only if we hug it out n@ked.

^Won’t mo34 get jealous?!

We can take some pictures to give to him. So, send me some pics of you in a n@ked hug position and I’ll photoshop it into a pic of me in your arms.