Foreign Languages

I’ve always toyed around with studying Mandarin (most spoken language in the world, half my company speaks it, etc…), seems like it would be wise from a career standpoint as well… It’s a super difficulty language to master in that it is a “tonal” language - basically one word said different ways has different meanings. Anyone here fluent in more than one language?

Hey you should learn Mandarin. I speak so so and it is not as hard as people say. It is very nice sounding and fun to speak. BTW why do people say French is this awesome romantic language, it sounds like butt to me, Mandarin is so much nicer…listen to a hot Chinese girl speak it to you and you’ll see what I mean. You want to get an audio CD like Pimsleur Conversational Mandarin and some friends to practice with. The Chinese are going to take over the earth and they are going to do it in our lifetime so you might as well get it on. I’m learning Korean now cause of my new woman, and that is not as sweet sounding or as relevant to the future…but it is okay. Just sounds kinda retarded to me.

xie xie!

Bukeqi Chonmahnehyo

??

My understanding is that it’s easier to enunciate words in Mandarin than in Cantonese. Sounds like someone is taking steps to strengthen their resume for MBA school.

謝謝您 I just want to bust out and completely shock someone it 5 years when I order dim sum. Professionally not a bad move, business school app would be a good call too

I think you should do it. www.mandarinhouse.cn

http://www.rosettastone.com/ this looks pretty legit… anyone have any experience? Plus my boss and cube - neighbor are both fluent so I could practice everyday

i am sharpening my french and then want to learn spanish. i figure going to bschool in europe would be an excellent experience and the languages would go hand in hand.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_languages_by_number_of_native_speakers I want to learn “Ter Sami” to communicate with the 10 people (probably less) that know this language, wow

i’m fluent in russian, hebrew and english. i think i’d like to learn french seeing as how i’m living in canada at the moment and it doesn’t sound like it would be too hard to pick up. mandarin would definitely be an impressive asset, i had considered trying to pick it up after L2 instead of french/spanish, but i think learning a romance language would probably take me a quarter of the time and i should just get it out of the way. i see all these white guys from jehova’s witnesses at the corner of dundas/spadina (the core of toronto’s chinatown) and it sounds like they speak flawless mandarin and i’m always impressed despite my disdain for religious people.

i studied spanish for 12 years (5th grade through college). i also took some mandarin classes in college. i think learning languages is a lot of fun. what’s the deal with rosetta stone? do i need a special microphone, or can i use my friend’s downloaded copies?

not fluent but i speak italian and spanish, one of my goals in life is to become fluent in those languages as well as cantonese and maybe farsi

purealpha Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Hey you should learn Mandarin. I speak so so and > it is not as hard as people say. It is very nice > sounding and fun to speak. BTW why do people say > French is this awesome romantic language, it > sounds like butt to me, Mandarin is so much > nicer…listen to a hot Chinese girl speak it to > you and you’ll see what I mean. > > You want to get an audio CD like Pimsleur > Conversational Mandarin and some friends to > practice with. The Chinese are going to take over > the earth and they are going to do it in our > lifetime so you might as well get it on. > > I’m learning Korean now cause of my new woman, and > that is not as sweet sounding or as relevant to > the future…but it is okay. Just sounds kinda > retarded to me. korean sounds like whining. korean girls are dope though

supersharpshooter Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i’m fluent in russian, hebrew and english. i > think i’d like to learn french seeing as how i’m > living in canada at the moment and it doesn’t > sound like it would be too hard to pick up. > mandarin would definitely be an impressive asset, > i had considered trying to pick it up after L2 > instead of french/spanish, but i think learning a > romance language would probably take me a quarter > of the time and i should just get it out of the > way. > > i see all these white guys from jehova’s witnesses > at the corner of dundas/spadina (the core of > toronto’s chinatown) and it sounds like they speak > flawless mandarin and i’m always impressed despite > my disdain for religious people. French is not easy to write. Many, many grammatical exceptions.

SeanC Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > purealpha Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Hey you should learn Mandarin. I speak so so > and > > it is not as hard as people say. It is very > nice > > sounding and fun to speak. BTW why do people > say > > French is this awesome romantic language, it > > sounds like butt to me, Mandarin is so much > > nicer…listen to a hot Chinese girl speak it > to > > you and you’ll see what I mean. > > > > You want to get an audio CD like Pimsleur > > Conversational Mandarin and some friends to > > practice with. The Chinese are going to take > over > > the earth and they are going to do it in our > > lifetime so you might as well get it on. > > > > I’m learning Korean now cause of my new woman, > and > > that is not as sweet sounding or as relevant to > > the future…but it is okay. Just sounds kinda > > retarded to me. > > > korean sounds like whining. > > korean girls are dope though i was just in korea like 2 months ago… and yes KOREAN girls are dope!!.. makes me wanna learn the korean lauguage… impress those girls. but i think mandarin is the best language to learn. china is a market that has way more potential than anywhere in the world.

mandarin unlike english… it’s harder to learn how to read/write. you can probably only learn how to speak in like a year or two. but it will take way longer to learn how to read/write.

i took two spanish classes at a college last summer and used rosetta stone to drill in vocabularly etc. It can be a pretty useful tool to get all those verbs to stick plus the words are pronounced by native spanish speakers so that helps with getting the pronounciation right. I accessed it from my city’s library’s website so it was free, i don’t think I would pay money for it.

Fiela14 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > i took two spanish classes at a college last > summer and used rosetta stone to drill in > vocabularly etc. > It can be a pretty useful tool to get all those > verbs to stick plus the words are pronounced by > native spanish speakers so that helps with getting > the pronounciation right. > I accessed it from my city’s library’s website so > it was free, i don’t think I would pay money for > it. do you think it helped speed up your acquisitioon of the language. im thinking of picking it up to improve my ability