Forensic Economics

So I met a lady who pre-giving birth worked in forensic economics- specifically, tracking cash flows into and out of insurgencies, and I never felt so awe-inspired- what a great job, I thought! Does anyone else that uses these boards know about this field, or can you share any stories regarding your thoughts/experiences?

cjones65 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > So I met a lady who pre-giving birth worked in > forensic economics- specifically, tracking cash > flows into and out of insurgencies, and I never > felt so awe-inspired- what a great job, I > thought! > > Does anyone else that uses these boards know about > this field, or can you share any stories > regarding your thoughts/experiences? =================================== cjones65 did you inquire how she landed up in her job? any particular course/ designation required for it?

There’s a fairly large industry of Economists who work on court cases. For the most part, they work as witnesses in court cases and estimate the costs and benefits of stuff. NAFE is the biggest organization of them, if I’m not mistaken.

Yeah, that sounds like a pretty cool job, actually. Anyone know what type of training/degree is required for the field, and how to get into it?

I know someone getting a graduate accounting degree and he is looking into forensic accounting. From both your description and his, they are probably both talking about the same job.

Forensic economists that testify in court cases typically have PhDs in economics or finance.

Somewhat related - one of my friends in consulting works on the Task Force to Improve Business and Stability Operations (TFBSO) in Iraq on the Banking and Financial networks team whose mission is to Leverage DoD contracts with Iraqi firms to force transition to automated private banking; creating a consortium of private banks and financial institutions to automate financial transactions. Looks like a pretty cool project. She works in the same consulting firm as I do but travels around eastern europe and the middle east working on TFBSO with Iraq, other countries, the DoD, and US. http://www.defenselink.mil/tfbso/

Nads, I didn’t inquire on the spot because it was a very brief encounter- she and her husband were leaving a dinner party, and stopped by my folks’ table to say goodbye- but I got her contact info and sent her an email this morning asking for the short story of how she ended up where she did. I will post what she says to this thread. All I know about her background at this point is that she went to Georgetown for undergrad.

Follow up (paraphrased from email response): She has a double major from Georgetown in economics and psychology and a master’s from Georgetown and George Washington in Public Administration. While she worked at NSA, she says that since 9/11, the Treasury Department has been doing the lion’s share of work in financial intelligence. As an added bonus, a person can have some background quirks and still get hired at Treasury. The NSA, on the other hand, is tougher than the FBI. They put folks through lie detector tests, knock on neighbors doors, interview family and friends, the works. http://www.ustreas.gov/organization/employment/

FBI does that too, as does justice department (just no lie detector test)