Formula's

This may have already been asked but I just wanted to make sure that there isn’t a list of formula’s on the exam are there? What are some of the ways you guys memorized all of the formula’s?

a) make your own formula cheat sheet. b) do end of chapter problems. all of them. you will use the formulas so much your mind will automatically memorize them.

So do you just memorize the formula’s and then write them all down when you start the test? Is that what you mean by make your own formula’s? And that is what I have been doing and will keep doing which I am sure I will have them down by Dec. I was just kind of wondering what other people did as far as formula’s. Thanks for the input though!

I spent a lot of time memorizing the formulas, but that was largely to drive the concepts home. On the exam there were very few problems that required formula regurgitation they were more conceptual.

If you spend enough time studying for the exam and doing practice questions in the qbank you will not need to memorize the formulas separately. There are only a handful that actually require direct memorization such as the portfolio variance equation. That’s as tough as it gets. The number of accounting ratios looks daunting but most of them are quite intuitive and were easy to recall on the exam.

Chuckrox8 Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > If you spend enough time studying for the exam and > doing practice questions in the qbank you will not > need to memorize the formulas separately. There > are only a handful that actually require direct > memorization such as the portfolio variance > equation. That’s as tough as it gets. The number > of accounting ratios looks daunting but most of > them are quite intuitive and were easy to recall > on the exam. Exactly. I never had to write any down during the exam. They were memorized because I did so many practice problems.

At the back of each Schweser book, there’s formula sheets for that particular book. What I did was I photocopied those formulas and went over them a dozen times.

Do a lot of questions and write up some notes yourself closer to the exam. Formula’s aren’t as big a problem as you’d expect.

ok, cool… thanks for all the help guys. I will just keep pounding out the pracitce questions and soon enough they should be stuck in my brain.

I made flash cards of the formulas after I read and highlighted the section. At first it was to help me memorize. This helped to reinforce it more than anything else. Now I am thinking that I will just cycle through it every once in a while as a refresher.

During my last month of reviewing, I tried to focus on ONE formula every day. I would literally just say it in my head over and over again throughout that day until I had it down pat. The next day, you review the previous days’ formulas and then memorize that day’s formula until you know it like the back of your hand. This method was incredibly helpful come test day.

Why does everyone freak out about the formulas? It is seriously not that difficult… First of all, most of the formulas are intuitive if you know what you’re doing. Second, by the time you’re ready to take the exam the formulas should be burned into the back of your brain. Memorizing the formulas should be the least of your worries…

Make flash cards

understand the formula, practice, practice, and practice… then you automatically memorize 'em…