Forums for employer review

Are there any forums where I can find out more information about employers…other than Vault?

glassdoor.com

Holy hell. Just signed up for glassdoor.com. The wealth of information here will revolutionize transparency in the US job market. Outside of Goldman Sachs, I think it is pretty apparent that few people are really making a killing in any corporate job. I guess it makes sense, but seeing hundreds of financial services jobs with analyst/associate positions in the 50-80k range in expensive job markets and the VPs and directors with total comp consistently under 200k, it puts a lot of perspective on the situation–few people climb the corporate ladder high enough to make the kind of money college students dream of. At the end of the day, there is no easy way to retire young–it takes stepping out of the salary and bonus and taking the big risk and getting a little lucky.

Welcome to the real world. Outside of specific bubbles (dot-com 90s, real estate/finance of 2000s), very few people have incomes significantly outside of the mean. Many people have the Joe Plumber dream, thinking they’ll be be rich in short order. It is an american fantasy.

Wow – lots of good info on glassdoor.com. I don’t know about you guys, but prior to seeing that site, I had just assumed that most of my peers were making a lot more than they apparently were… That being said, some of the salary figures for front-office finance folks (like investment bankers, etc.) are definitely too low, but maybe the reported numbers are meant to include only base and not bonus

I’d also like to point out that after reading some of the other reviews and opinions that were posted on the site, I began to appreciate the potential fact that maybe some of the jobs I once held in the past don’t actually “suck” as much as I thought they did at the time…or, maybe it’s just that some people really have it bad in their workplace

CFAchief Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Welcome to the real world. Outside of specific > bubbles (dot-com 90s, real estate/finance of > 2000s), very few people have incomes significantly > outside of the mean. > > Many people have the Joe Plumber dream, thinking > they’ll be be rich in short order. It is an > american fantasy. The only place where success comes before work is the dictionary. If people are willing to work hard and take risks, I do not think the ‘Joe Plumber’ dream is too far out of reach.

Ummm I dont believe these salaries are accurate. THey cant be.

Well, based on viewing the couple dozen reviews of my own firm, I’d say that those are fairly accurate figures for my company.

I’m sure there is plenty of selection bias here, though since you need to give up info to get access, there may be less than other sites.

For real salary see: http://www.jobs-salary.com/ I am bit skeptical that researchers at IBM make that much (solid 150K) according to glassdoor.com

I gave up trying to be puff daddy. I just wanna wake up and be happy going to work everyday. as long as I can afford my wannabe loft and barrons subscription, I will get by. In the end, most of us here have 35 years before retirement, so it is immature to think that b/c we have small net worths now, we will be like this forever.