Four ABSOLUTELY MUST-HAVES for the exam

Nearly everyone at our centre was running the 2 calc setup. Some even had three.

There’s no way you will have the time to change batteries, especially in the L3 AM session.

Your post should be stickied, especially for all those that believe it’s impossible for your calculator to fail at an exam. It’s a risk to study 500 hours only to have your calculator die. $50 is a cheap hedge.

Which model do you use?

Mine just a cover i can pop open and replace the battery in probably less than 1min…

I brought 2 calculators, 2HB pencils, 1 eraser and 1 sharpener to every CFA exam. Anything in cover is not along. As far as I remember, even transparent stationary holders weren’t allowed inside the exam room.

Yes, they do provide water and there are clocks everywhere. They even make announcements (I think) 15 & 30 min before ending time. Washrooms are very crowded, but you can always take washroom break during exam or listen to 1BSM and bring diapers.

It completely died mid-question. And the funny thing is, it was the newer of the ones I had. My old trusty one that got me through the first two levels finished the job. It was the battery though, I changed it later and it works now. So there you have it, it was a fairly new calculator and the battery just decided it didn’t want any more. This is the BA II.

I looked at it as a hedge too. 250 hours of studying x $100/hr = $25,000 in cost going into the exam plus fees. $50 / $25,000 = 0.2%. If the odds of calcuator failure > 0.2% (and they do), then spend the $50 to protect your $25k.

Three calcs is probably getting excessive though.

On pencils - I’d strongly recommend taking in some mechanical 0.7mm pencils containing HB (=#2) lead. My personal favourite is the Pentel Twist-Erase 0.7 as it has a substantial eraser on the end, and has a rubberised grip.

During the dead time just after sitting down at your exam desk (and before the exams starts) pump fresh leads into a couple of your pencils. This may alleviate complete boredom for a few minutes and pretty much guarantees your pencils won’t jam during the test.

This might seem trivial, but practice with your pencils before the exam…especially if you’re used to writing with ink all the time and haven’t touched HB pencils in years.

Not only can the calculator fail on its own, but you may drop it somewhere between your place and the testing center. My gf at the time, was foolling with my BA-II Professional and dropped it. Killed it instantly, cracked screen.

Extra batteries won’t do you any good in that case.

The best hedge against that is probably to ditch the girl that fools around with a man’s calculator!

I hope you took advantage of your free pass after she did that.

If you had been using a 12c, she could have dropped it and then driven a loaded dump truck over it and it would have been fine.

Or a steamroller.

Bump, for all the newbies out there.

Don’t forget the diapers. The exam is not the day to spend 15mins in the toilet because your curry in a hurry is coming out in a hurry looking like curry.

good night sleep)))

I absolutely “love” desk neighbours who fall asleep during the exam)))

Bump, since the December exam is coming up.

Yearly bump.

Bring 2 calculators. One working, one not working. Before exam, give random calculator to a guy/girl who forgot his/hers at home.

If you are lucky to get a working one, you will make it in CFA and the world of business.

^Huh?