Framing cost

Probably a stupid post… got my tube a month ago or so. Really would like a nice frame (mahogany wood, filet, double mat… etc). Just came out of a framing store yesterday. Asking for $620 (initially $730 without 25% discount). Doesn’t that seem expensive? Did anywone got a custom frame?

I have no idea about framing but I remember you from L2. Congratulations man!

I got multiple bids and none of them were that high (the highest bind came from Aaron Brothers) but the wood you choose makes a huge difference. I ended up taking it to a mom and pop shop and my out the door cost was around $170.

I’m probably being taken for a ride… they saw it’s a CFA certificate and thinking I’m making a ton of dough… the joke is on them! Hi mo34. Thx for the note!

My college degrees are in Walgreens $5 frames.

I tried to bring a few items to get framed - they told me it would be $270 per item (after a 50% discount!). I went in expecting to spend maybe $100 total. Obvious to say I did not get the items framed.

Ikea has a decent variety of frames at great prices and you can have a local chop cut you the mat. I don’t think there is a need for archival glass for a charter… its not a picasso!

akanska Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Ikea has a decent variety of frames at great > prices and you can have a local chop cut you the > mat. I don’t think there is a need for archival > glass for a charter… its not a picasso! Did you actually buy one from Ikea or is that your plan? I started by looking for an ‘off the rack’ frame, but Aaron Brothers and Michael’s didn’t have one that would work for the charter’s dimensions unless I didn’t mind having different mat widths on the top/bottom & sides. In other news, do you still need a sponsor?

Try here: http://www.universityframes.com/frameitstyle.asp?caid=&CMD=school&scid=2991 I’ve already selected CFA, so just select your choices and it will give you a mock up and price at the end. Your college is probably providing licensing to them so you can get one to match closely as well.

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > akanska Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Ikea has a decent variety of frames at great > > prices and you can have a local chop cut you > the > > mat. I don’t think there is a need for > archival > > glass for a charter… its not a picasso! > > > Did you actually buy one from Ikea or is that your > plan? I started by looking for an ‘off the rack’ > frame, but Aaron Brothers and Michael’s didn’t > have one that would work for the charter’s > dimensions unless I didn’t mind having different > mat widths on the top/bottom & sides. > > In other news, do you still need a sponsor? I’ve really got to get on the ball… but I’ve got a bunch of stuff going on now. Need to make it a priority though- since my 4 years is only about 6 months away! as far as the frame goes you can also look into the sections they sell in the craft stores. You can buy the frame moldings in pairs- so you can make the appropriate dimensions. With this you would need to get glass and a backer board separately - which is doable- especially if you are cool with cutting it yourself. The mat itself is the trickiest part since it requires some special tools. You can buy a mat cutter for ~100 dollars and the mats come in all colors and sizes- more variety @ pearl than michaels. Its basically a straight edge and a nice blade @ a 45% angle. I cannot imagine them ripping you off too much though for getting just a mat. Anything over 150 for framing is absurd for something that has no intrinsic value- and these stores really run a racket. My family is full of artists and I often get canvases as gifts- I was once quoted 250 to stretch a 36x48 canvas. Absurd. I bought a pre-stretched canvas and stapled it over the raw canvas and saved myself 246.

http://www.framingsuccess.com/framing2/catalog@ELEVATOR.FXP?sessionid=2UX1G81G7&SEARCH_CATEG01=Certificate%20-%20CFA%20Embossed%20with%20Blue/Gold%20Double%20Mat&SEARCH_PLINID=VA91&SEARCH_CATEG09=Y&SEARCH_CATEG03=Y This place is good. About $150. I got my diploma frame here. They even do the CFAI logo embossed. Not bad.