FRAs

I read that a FRA is equivalent to long a call and short a put…can you explain this? I suppose I get the ‘being long a call’ part- one party has agreed to buy (lock in) the forward rate. But the being short a put part I do not get…

As I understand it:

In a long FRA you receive the floating rate while paying the fixed rate. Let’s say that you pay a fixed rate of 5%:

Assume that at expiration you have a long call and a short put. Let’s think about 2 possible scenarios:

1. Interest rates at expiration are 10%: In this case you would exercise the long call option and receive 5%, while the put option would not been exercised by the holder. The premiums received for short put and paid for long call would exactly offset each other.

2. Interest rates at expiration are 1%: In this case the put option would be exercised by the holder and you would loose 4%. The long call option however would not be exercised. Again, the premiums offset each other.

Both scenarios replicate to 100% the payments for the long FRA, where you also would receive 5% under scenario 1 and loose 4% under scenario 2.

Regards,

Oscar

It’s no different than saying that owning a stock is equivalent to being long a call option and short a put option, same expiration, same strike.

If you look at put-call parity and solve for the stock price, you’ll see it immediately.