French vs. British professionals

I hate to generalize in general, but I have found the French hard to work with. I think it might be primarily a Parisian thing though. I don’t have tons of evidence, but I think the French outside of Paris are more accepting. The interesting thing I fond is that the French start off very enjoyable and charming, but then as you get to know and work with them they become more difficult and eager to tell you how much better everything is in France and how dumb/stupid/etc. other stuff is, other than Levis and Jerry Lewis. Strangely, the Germans were the complete opposite. The first impression is that they’re pushy and blunt and don’t know how to use the phrase “excuse me,” but after you figure out how they work, they’re really good and fun people.

bchadwick: exactly the same experiences with the french for me. PS: what do you do and whatm country do u work in?

Hey where was the “have you ever french a british professional” thread? Has the author closed the thread in shame after we mocked him?

For all you yanks out there, you also need to remember that anti-americanism is enshrined in the French constitution. They’re not that fond of us Rosbifs either, but strangely now seem to get on with the Germans. You think the US and UK won the war?:wink:

Florida_Gator Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > In my experience, the coolest europeans are the > italians certo… ma marito mio e de roma.

I thought this forum was one of educated people. I didn’t know garbage like what I am reading on this thread was allowed here.

Semper Augustus Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > I thought this forum was one of educated people. > > I didn’t know garbage like what I am reading on > this thread was allowed here. +1

Zinedine you joined us, the most arrogant frenchman of all. warranted though zizoubleu Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Semper Augustus Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > I thought this forum was one of educated > people. > > > > I didn’t know garbage like what I am reading on > > this thread was allowed here. > > > +1

Bankin’ Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > My Level III study partner is a French chick here > on a work visa; she is very polite. My wife and I > had her over for dinner and she arrived with a > bottle of wine (pretty standard) and a dozen roses > for my wife (above and beyond). She didn’t go with the 99 roses? A pity…

maddane Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Zinedine you joined us, the most arrogant > frenchman of all. warranted though > > > zizoubleu Wrote: > -------------------------------------------------- > ----- > > Semper Augustus Wrote: > > > -------------------------------------------------- > > > ----- > > > I thought this forum was one of educated > > people. > > > > > > I didn’t know garbage like what I am reading > on > > > this thread was allowed here. > > > > > > +1 According to Marcus Phoenix, the French are the biggest xenophobes so I’m sure many don’t consider Zidane a ‘real’ frenchman. Thanks for noticing me though. It’s a pretty silly comment to say that he is the most arrogant of all. And exactly how do you know this? The point that some people have made is that these generalizations are ridiculous. Quite frankly, it doesn’t take much imagination for Americans to bash the French (or vice versa for that matter). That we have some pretty intelligent people on this forum making stupid comments (and you can separate what is said in jest and what is apparent hatred) doesn’t say much for those individuals. Really, it says more about them than anything else.

I’ve had excellent experiences working with French professionals. In a former job I had a client based in Paris and traveled there regularly. They always took us out to the best restaurants for dinner and during the day broke for a 2-hour 4-course lunch complete with wine. I just love to eat and drink and think it’s fantastic that this was a priority!! Plus I found everyone very professional.

Behind every stereotype and generalization is some basis of truth. I have a distinct bias against doing business with the French and that’s led me to reject certain investments that we might’ve otherwise considered for our portfolios. A lot of this business is about relationships though so it is justifiable if I can’t maintain a good relationship with Frenchmen.

JTLD, I’ll take a stab at your question/comment. I think its perfectly justifiable about not doing business with French people based on your personal experience, all things being equal. However, if you chose not to do business with the French and it was a great opportunity when there weren’t other good substitutes available, then its your loss not theirs. I agree that there is some truth behind stereotypes. However, I take issue with some of the comments on this thread. For instance, wishing a nuke on France. How f*kcing ignorant is that? Those are the comments of an immature, little kid. I do think you were acutely aware of the type of responses your thread would elicit.:wink:

Here’s an example of the courteous, lovely and tolerant French…and Asians (including Indians) usually tolerate a lot of crap and suffer silently. Indian fliers in Paris cry racism MUMBAI: Fifty-five Indian passengers on a Boston-Paris-Mumbai Air France flight had a harrowing time, reaching Mumbai airport at 2.20 am on Tuesday, nearly 48 hours after they had taken off from Boston at 3 am on Sunday (IST). There was a 27-hour delay on the Paris-Mumbai leg of the flight due to two technical disruptions on the aircraft which first led to an aborted take-off and then a return to Paris airport after the flight had taken off on the second attempt. While there were 169 passengers on the Paris-Mumbai leg, the 55 Indians alleged ill-treatment and racial discrimination because they were made to wait for ten-and-a-half hours with poor facilities at Charles de Gaulle airport while the other 114 passengers were put up at a hotel. Air France, in a press release, said, “Passengers with a valid transit visa were put up at nearby hotels for the night.” It also regretted any inconvenience caused. But the 55 Indians said they were made to wait over ten hours for their transit visas in dismal conditions. They were confined to a lounge with too few seats, so many sat on the floor. There was one loo for 55 people. “We were only given a sandwich and a bottle of water each,” said passenger Kalashree Sengupta. The passengers alleged that when some of them protested the long delay, an airline official threatened to hand them over to the police. Sudhakara Reddy, president, Air Passengers Association of India, said, “We receive a lot of complaints from our members and Indian passengers about the discrimination they face on board some European airlines, but it’s difficult to win such cases as it is hard to produce proof to substantiate the allegations.” http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/India/Indian-fliers-in-Paris-cry-racism/articleshow/4513426.cms

“Here’s an example of the courteous, lovely and tolerant French” This wasn’t being argued. Many of the comments on this thread have been anything but tolerant. Are you Indian?

No but one of my good buddies is…he sent me that link.

Australians have been the best to deal with for me! Love a laugh and a pint, and professional when it comes to business

JohnThainsLimoDriver Wrote: ------------------------------------------------------- > Behind every stereotype and generalization is some > basis of truth. I have a distinct bias against > doing business with the French and that’s led me > to reject certain investments that we might’ve > otherwise considered for our portfolios. A lot of > this business is about relationships though so it > is justifiable if I can’t maintain a good > relationship with Frenchmen. So you base your so-called investment decisions on irrational and xenophobic bias ? Wow. Fortunately, you don’t sound like somebody who is relevant in any significant process.