Friday rant - Abusive Manager

LOL. This is the exact thing I think about when I see the word obtuse.

Harboring a resentment for this dude is going to get you nowhere. Sounds like he was willing to even hash it out the next day in a rational fashion. Now he’s just occupying precious space in your brain.

You were okay with your reaction up til your email response to his weak wristed apology/excuse.

You should have taken your reply offline and said thank you but I still do not like the type/manner of response you were giving me, even if attempting to be constructive. There’s a good chance your email is floating around the office getting mocked and mocked heavily.

Is being called obtuse really that insulting though? Do you know what obtuse means? Does obtuse = **** in German in something? What am I missing?

Whilst I get your point about not being shouted by some diva I don’t really think it’s that big of a deal, is it worth losing your standing in a company because some guy that everyone knows is a total douche called you obtuse?

It’s difficult to imagine you having any sort of disagreement without menstrating everywhere.

this

But the real quesiton is: did you maintain eye contact throughout?

Leapfrog that clown.

if u tried to be acute, maybe you wouldnt be so obtuse. from my standpoint you have 2 choices.

either find the right angle

or give it to them straight.

ROFL!!!. serious though. he is higher up. dont bite the hand that feeds u. apologize and sound as meaningful as possible. but never forget.

The conversation was taking place in French.

Obtuse in French means kind of a blend of hard-headed and dumb. In any case it’s all a matter of context. Don’t forget that that asshole was furiously yielling and hitting on his table. So I don’t think that I am overreacting here.

Apologize ? For what ?

Also, did you not read the part where I wrote that I feel much better since the email ?

lol

New thought:

Put on some umpire gear and toss that MF’er the hell out of the office. Abusive manager arguing balls and strikes?

Not in my house.

ob·tuse əbˈt(y)o͞os,äbˈt(y)o͞os/ adjective adjective: obtuse

1. 1. annoyingly insensitive or slow to understand. “he wondered if the doctor was being deliberately obtuse” synonyms: stupid, slow-witted, slow, dull-witted, unintelligent, ignorant, simpleminded, witless; More insensitive, imperceptive, uncomprehending; informaldim, dimwitted, dense, dumb, slow on the uptake, halfwitted, brain-dead, moronic, cretinous, thick, dopey, lamebrained, dumb-ass, dead from the neck up, boneheaded, chowderheaded “he frustrated his teachers by pretending to be obtuse” antonyms: clever, astute
  • difficult to understand. “some of the lyrics are a bit obtuse”
  1. 2. (of an angle) more than 90° and less than 180°.

apologize for nothing and everything. you are in a field filled with ego. the higher it is the worst it gets. they have mucho dinero so feed it. thank him for the helpful email. lol. cheap kind words often have great payback.

Tito! Miss ya brah!

you can also take his hag to poundtown, then send him an email aplogizing about it

Good idea. If he fires you because of this, buy an ice cream truck and service the neighborhood where he lives.

Viceroy,

At some point it does become a matter of principle, and i believe that is why you went about it in this path;

But, i’ve been called worse things than obtuse, at some point you have to be the better man and accept a fake apology.

Or, if an absolute response is necesitated, you should have at least taken the night a few days to draft that resume and know what your probability is of moving on from the firm.

At the beginning of my career (i was in brokerate sales not PM/Analyst role) had a manager simply out to get me, in which irrelevant of my top decile performance, every review was aweful. Before pushing it up the ladder i had an offer on the table to move me into the Reserach/portofolio management side of the business. apology was irrelevant as i had acquired a better positon better for my career path.

More recently, i’ve had a situation in which the research and project requests were either data entry or simply contradictory/nonsensical, and with political implications intended to put me in a bad light. I had no choice but to act - although i have created a resume and put a few hints out to my network before acting, ulitmately i think this was a bad move on my part.

You simply need to be the better man, or at least be strong enough to remove emotion from your actions, and logically plan for the consequences of your actions. The wost case situation clearly should always be clearly defined, being fired, as a result of your actions.

Good luck.

sounds like a typical french canadian conversation to me.

^lol that s hillarious. I tend to see us as a rather calm people overall.